Director, Engineering - Platform & Web Engineering
Homer · Remote (USA)
HOMER has a newly created opportunity for an exceptional Director, Engineering - Platform & Web Engineering to join our energetic, growing team. This is a remote first role.
BEGiN is an award-winning education company that creates best-in-class playful learning solutions across digital, physical, and instructor-led experiences. We’re a diverse team of talented people passionate about creating educational content kids love. At BEGiN, we have the rare opportunity to make a dent in the universe by bringing high-quality foundational learning to kids globally!
HOMER, a BEGiN brand, is the proven early learning program that provides the best educational start possible. We offer personalized, fun, and proven learning products for kids ages 0-10 to help build confidence, mastery, and a love of learning. We are deeply committed to our members and to their children, and we are building a creative and strategic team to develop a portfolio of early learning products that support learning everywhere.
Reporting to our VP of Engineering, the Director, Platform & Web Engineering will oversee our suite of Platform Services powering our mobile apps and websites. You will oversee our suite of Web technologies powering our Marketing, CVR, and web platforms and manage the associated teams. You will be accountable for the architecture and delivery of our shared web platform, including funnels and membership management products. Both areas are growing and expanding currently to cover multiple BEGiN business units, products, and services.
As a member of the Engineering Leadership team, you will serve as a key contributor to our technology strategy and help realize BEGIN’s vision.
- Own our suite of Platform Services and be accountable for their architecture and availability across all of our brands
- Own our suite of Web Products across HOMER, codeSpark, and BEGiN Customer Journeys
- Be accountable for and support CVR efforts
- Own our observability and alerting for our web products
- Build a test in production culture with CI/CD to improve the throughput of the team
- Manage KPIs and establish operational standards for systems performance across the organization
- Implement our security and compliance policies
- With the compliance team, implement our security and compliance policies
- Lead the team to be highly effective while growing and fostering the team
- At least 5+ years of technical and organizational leadership experience with a track record of successfully growing, motivating, developing, and managing technical teams
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills suitable for distributed and nearshore environments
- Leading strong technical leaders to make decisions, create and evolve Best Practices & Standards
- Working cross-organizationally in developing and guiding developing technical strategies and architecture
- Managing a global Cloud Infrastructure platform, or large-scale enterprise Infrastructure platform, with high availability/reliability
- Leading teams to iterate on products in a lean way
- Learning and guiding teams in designing and architecting technical solutions
- Experience working for a high growth company or start up.
We like people who:
- Collaborate effectively with stakeholders and other team members (product managers, application engineers, data scientists, marketing and others) to define and refine requirements and then execute on them.
- Have an entrepreneurial mindset and know how to balance speed to market and elegance in technical design.
- Are passionate about and thrive in a culture of learning and teaching. You love challenging yourself to constantly improve, and sharing your knowledge to empower others.
- Care about solving big, systemic problems. You look beyond the surface to understand root causes so that you can build a complete and long-term solution for the whole ecosystem.
- Want to be part of an organization with a transparent and agile environment where you can communicate freely and openly.
- Are open to suggestions, collaborative, and thrive in team environments.
What you’ll get:
- BEGiN offers competitive compensation including equity and full benefits.
- Smart, passionate, and engaged co-workers.
- Excellent top-tier Medical/Dental/Vision benefits.
- The chance to make a big impact, quickly.
- Help bring a love of reading and learning to children globally!
*Remote Locations: AL, AZ, CA, CT, FL, GA, ID, IN, KS, MA, MD, MI, MN, MO, NC, NE, NV, NY, OH, OR, PA, TN, TX, VA, WA, WY.
This role is not eligible for CO.
BEGiN is a proud equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
At BEGiN, we are committed to building a diverse team of talented people who are passionate about creating educational content kids love. We believe in fostering a culture where productivity can flourish, one that is empathetic, respectful, and inclusive. At BEGiN, we know that diversity, equity, and inclusion aren’t just an idea, a one-time initiative, or phrases to throw into a job post: they’re a daily practice and an ongoing conversation. We survey our team about inclusivity, run training on DEI topics, and have a committee to ensure we are all continuing to learn and grow.