Head of Engineering
Age of Learning · Remote (USA)
EducationPosted 3 days ago
Age of Learning is a leading education technology innovator based in Glendale, California, with a talented team of more than 600 individuals comprised of nationally-renowned educators, curriculum experts, developers, artists, writers, designers, engineers, producers, product managers, analysts and marketing experts! Together we develop engaging, effective digital learning technology and content to help children build a strong academic foundation for lifelong success.
Our flagship product ABCmouse.com Early Learning Academy® is a comprehensive online curriculum and the #1 digital learning product for young children. To-date, more than 30 million children worldwide have completed over 8 billion Learning Activities on ABCmouse. We recently launched Adventure Academy, the first massively multiplayer online (MMO) game designed specifically to help elementary- and middle-school-aged children learn. It features thousands of engaging Learning Activities—including minigames, books, original animated and live action series, and more—in a fun and safe virtual world. Other Age of Learning programs include immersive English language learning products for children in China and Japan; ReadingIQ, a digital library and literacy platform; and a groundbreaking personalized, adaptive digital learning system that individualizes math instruction for every child through AI-driven technology.
We are committed to helping all children succeed. We provide our educational programs at no cost to teachers, Head Start programs, public libraries, and other community organizations, and have served millions of children through these initiatives. We recently established the Age of Learning Foundation to expand this work globally.
As we expand our global reach and increase the educational impact of our programs, we’re looking for passionate, ambitious, and collaborative leaders to become a part of our growing team.
We are seeking a Head of Engineering to join our Adventure Academy team. You will be responsible for leading our technical team for our cross-platform educational MMO, Adventure Academy. This person will report directly to our Executive Producer and have overall responsibility for the engineering team across platforms and technologies.
· Provide technical expertise to lead and manage a team of engineers across multiple disciplines – client, server, network, database, web, and tools.
· Interface with creative teams to provide solutions for feature requests within limits set by company stakeholders.
· Architect, drive, and oversee long and short-term technology solutions for client and server software.
· Contribute to the technology platforms, libraries, systems, and tooling used by our engineering team(s).
· Work with production to plan, scope, and schedule solutions from the engineering team
· Collaborate and facilitate communication both locally and with remote development teams.
· Evangelize and support the rollout of new technologies, libraries, and development techniques.
· Evaluate current staffing needs and participate in recruiting initiatives and interview processes.
· Contribute to emerging training strategies and career development initiatives.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related field or equivalent combination of education and experience building and managing technical teams, including hiring and mentoring developers.
- Experience managing mixed engineering organizations including local, remote, and vendor resources.
- Familiarity with client/server, database/web interfaces, and Unity development for PC and mobile.
- Experience architecting and facilitating solutions for multi-player online, PC and mobile platforms.
- Experience collaborating with, and giving guidance to, technical leads.
- An excellent communicator, both verbal and written, with technical and non-technical stakeholders.
- A proven ability to facilitate consensus across cross-functional teams.
- Comprehension of a variety of Software Development Life Cycle practices including Agile/Scrum
- Expert knowledge of modern mobile technologies including iOS development in Objective C, Android development in Java, and cross platform development in Unity using C#.
- MMO experience highly desired.
Age of Learning currently provides:
• 80% - 90% of health and welfare benefit premiums
• A 401(k) program with employer match
• 15 paid vacation days, 11 observed national paid holidays plus 9 sick days
• Our flexible work culture means 2 or more days in the office (hybrid) or 100% fully remote options available for most positions
• Team bonding events and a highly collaborative environment
• Access to our internal DEI Task Force that focuses on ensuring our products represent all children on a global scale
• Opportunities for professional growth through professional learning and development programs
• Commitment to Equal Opportunity Employment in addition to an inclusive and supportive company culture