Full Stack Web Developer
Institute for Healthcare Improvement · Remote (USA)
The Institute for Healthcare Improvement (IHI) is an independent not-for-profit organization based in Boston, Massachusetts, USA. For over 30 years, IHI has used improvement science to advance and sustain better outcomes in health and health systems across the world. IHI brings awareness of safety and quality to millions, catalyzes learning and the systematic improvement of care, develops solutions to previously intractable challenges, and mobilizes health systems, communities, regions, and nations to reduce harm and deaths. IHI collaborates with a growing community to spark bold, inventive ways to improve the health of individuals and populations. IHI generates optimism, harvests fresh ideas, and supports anyone, anywhere who wants to profoundly change health and health care for the better. Learn more at ihi.org.
We are seeking a highly motivated Web Applications Developer with full-stack web development skills and strong backend expertise, including experience integrating enterprise-level Web applications, APIs, cloud technologies & related services.
Reporting to and collaborating with the IT Digital/Web Lead, this role will help maintain existing applications and services while being a primary contributor to IHI's next generation Website and digital customer experience solutions.
The developer should be able to effectively analyze business and technical issues: clarifying requirements and delivering solution options that are pragmatic, performant, scalable, secure, and maintainable.
Familiarity with microservices, MACH architecture, Jamstack, PWAs, Serverless, Headless and other modern approaches is a plus.
This role will work closely with the rest of the IHI team, contractors, and business partners to ensure any proposed solutions meet industry best practices.
Contribute your passion and technical expertise to the noble cause of IHI's mission - to improve health and health care for people around the world.
- Assist in developing and supporting all IHI's digital properties and related services as needed, including websites, web applications, mobile apps, live & virtual educational events, email, social media channels and more
- Effectively write, test, debug, and maintain Web applications
- Responsibly develop any new solutions with flexibility, legibility, consistency, scalability, security, performance, and ease of maintenance in mind
- Share ideas for strengthening IHI's mission, business, production workflows, customer experiences, technology stack, etc.
- Stay abreast of and utilize current industry best practices, web technologies, and development techniques
- Communicate effectively with staff across depts w/ varying levels of technical expertise
- Employ standard testing approaches to ensure deliverables are free of common errors
- Use team project management tools and processes to manage work in a transparent, timely and efficient manner
- Collaborate effectively with the IT Digital/Web Lead, marketing, business teams, contractors, and vendors in alignment with IT strategy and organizational objectives
Position Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Advanced knowledge of and experience using best practice Web application design and development approaches
- Significant experience integrating popular Web applications, frameworks, and services
- Advanced knowledge of application performance and scalability issues
- Advanced knowledge of database design and SQL
- Experience using APIs in SOAP, REST, and/or GraphQL
- Experience using CDNs, Redis and other caching strategiesAble to use code repositories and Git effectively
- Experience with Drupal, Sharepoint, AWS Lamda or other cloud technologies is a plus
- Experience with CI/CD and automated testing tools is a plus
- Experience with PWA, Headless, Serverless, Jamstack approaches is a plus
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and team-collaboration skills
- Ability to work well under pressure and work on multiple projects concurrently
- Ability to speak, write, and communicate effectively in grammatical English
- Ability to work well with global team members/suppliers
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision
- Strong attention to details and deadlines
- Minimum of 5 years of web application development experience; with 2+ years in a senior role required
- Experience using:
- Experience producing successful mobile-first responsive web designs and/or progressive web applications required
Previous work/code samples which demonstrate your skills & experience available during interview process
At IHI, we are inspired to do our best work and be our best selves by leaning into our values and uniting in our vision to create a future in which everyone has the best care and health possible. We ensure that people feel valued and supported in meaningful ways, as demonstrated in our total rewards package that features competitive compensation, medical, dental and vision coverage, life and disability plans, FSA plans, matching 401k contributions, discounted MBTA passes, tuition reimbursement, a personal development allowance to support what matters to you, a professional development allowance to support continued learning, respect for personal commitments and flexibility to manage them, generous time off including vacation time, a paid week off between Christmas and New Year's Day, wellness and wellbeing time, and other special programs to support employee wellbeing.
IHI is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, religion, sex or gender, marital status, national origin or ancestry, disability, veteran status, military service, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, crime victim status, political belief, and any other protected class under applicable law. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation to complete our application, please let us know.