Helm · Remote - Nationwide
Helm is a team of scientists, designers, engineers, and campaigners with a mission to power civic participation for a more equitable future. Building and sustaining issue-focused movements means meeting communities where they are. And that requires data on people's behaviors, motivations, and environments – not just partisanship or surface-level characteristics. Helm is working with issue advocates and community organizers to equip them with the data and tools they need to mobilize their communities even more effectively.
We are a growing team that values empathy, curiosity, diversity, transparency, and empowerment. So if you're highly motivated and passionate about increasing civic engagement, we encourage you to apply.
We are looking for an experienced Backend Engineer who is passionate about building highly available and scalable services to power a variety of applications. A successful candidate will bring strong analytical ability, software engineering expertise, and the ability to deliver results within a fast-moving, agile environment. This is a full-time position reporting to the VP of Engineering. Helm is a remote-first company.
What you’ll be doing:
- Be a key member of an agile software development team, contributing to your team’s design and implementation efforts.
- Work with a team of talented engineers to evolve our microservices architecture.
- Maintain and refactor existing code to make it more reliable, secure, and efficient.
- Collaborate with frontend and mobile engineers to build services and GraphQL APIs for new features.
Skills you should have:
- At least 5 years of software engineering experience.
- Worked with microservices within a large scale application.
- Experience with multiple languages and web frameworks such as Node.js/Typescript, Python/Flask, PHP/Laravel, or Ruby on Rails.
- Experience with unit and integration testing, continuous integration and deployment workflows.
- A natural curiosity, a desire to explore solutions and build products within a small, focused team.
Technologies we use:
- Graph QL
- AWS Lambda
We know that the best candidates don't always check every box in a job description. Please apply if you are eager to grow professionally and develop your skills!
Helm prioritizes hiring and retaining talent that is passionate about our mission to power civic participation for a more equitable future. In support of that mission, we value diverse perspectives and career experience and prioritize equal pay. We base compensation for most positions on the current market value for those roles in the technology, politics, and advocacy sectors.
The annual base salary for this position is $120,000-$135,000; commensurate with experience. Helm offers a robust benefits package in addition to salary.
Helm is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity of representation across all spectrums in its hiring. This includes, but is not limited to: race, gender, age, color, religion, national origin, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, educational background, political affiliation, or any other protected class.
That being said, we are a small company and therefore unable to accommodate candidates in need of work sponsorship at this time.