Entry-Level Python Engineer
Civic Eagle · Remote (USA)
Civic Eagle helps organizations more effectively advocate for public policy changes with a bleeding-edge product that is backed by our proprietary civic data and analytics. We are a diverse team guided by a vision to improve democracy and increase transparency. We provide services to hundreds of public policy advocacy organizations, Fortune 1000 corporations, and millions of people looking to engage in democracy.
We've recently raised our $10M Series A round: this is an exciting opportunity to join a fast-growing company backed by blue-chip investors.
We are seeking an Entry-Level Python Engineer to join our Data Engineering team and work on web scraping. That team ingests and processes civic data that our customers use to make a difference in making public policy. You will play a key role in moving data from the real world into a tool that powers public policy collaboration and analysis. This role will contribute to adding data to Open States, our open civic data project.. This is an individual contributor role that reports to the CTO, with an option to grow into technical leadership within the web scraping team.
What you will do:
- Find and fix data bugs in web scraping code that acquires data about the legislative process from the websites of state legislatures, US congress, state agencies, and other civic data sources
- Write new web scrapers and port existing ones to an updated framework
- Evaluate the code and output of scrapers written by others, and help them succeed with feedback and troubleshooting
The right person for this role:
- Has practical skills coding in Python (1-2 years, or completion of educational program)
- Learns quickly and has good reading skills
- Demonstrates a high attention to detail and cares about data quality
- Has a good understanding of HTML documents, including the DOM and CSS
- Has some hands-on experience with structure data formats (eg JSON, YML, CSV)
- Looks forward to becoming fluent in legislative data, among other civic data
- Wants to grow responsibility within a team as a resource and source of accountability for others
- May have experience with any of the following (not required but a plus):
- Web scraping
- Interacting with web APIs
- Legislative process or other experience in the domain of public policy (eg Political Science degree, internship, volunteer activity)
- Upholds our company values: We put people first. We believe in transparency. We are audacious thinkers and doers.
- Has experience and willingness to work in a remote-first, distributed team.
- Gets excited about delivering tools that truly move the needle for people who do important, world-changing work.
- Believes that diversity and communication are core strengths in an engineering team.
- Wants to join a startup at the stage where culture is being actively established and engineering habits are being molded.
- Cares about civic engagement and the health of our democracy.
$72K to $90K depending on location and experience
- Stock options
- Health, dental, and vision benefits for you and your family
- High-trust remote working environment & free co-working space
- Flexible work hours - unlimited Your Time Off (YTO)
- Paid family leave
- Professional development stipend
Civic Eagle is on a mission to use technology to promote better democratic outcomes. It starts with providing better access to information about the policies that impact us. We believe that by making public policy more accessible and transparent, we can start to make changes to the way that communities and organizations advocate for themselves. We envision a world where people are heard and communities are genuinely served. We have the unique opportunity to use today’s advancements in technology to make this a reality. We'd love for you to join us on this mission!
What do our products do?
- Surface all proposed laws across state and federal governments
- Enable users to track, tag, and annotate proposed laws, so they can take action
- Notify users about changes and related proposals that they might otherwise miss
- Facilitate collaboration within teams and organizations to make advocacy more powerful
- Provide a foundation of open civic data to academics, journalists, and the public
Commitment to Equal Opportunity
Civic Eagle is an equal opportunity employer committed to fostering a diverse, inclusive, and equitable work environment. Individuals seeking employment at Civic Eagle are considered without regard to race, ethnicity, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, medical condition, ancestry, military or veteran status, physical or mental abilities, social-economic background, political affiliation, thinking styles, life experiences, and any other characteristic protected by applicable law.