Senior Data Engineer
The Trevor Project · Remote, United States
Data + Analytics
Human Rights & Equality
Health & Well-BeingPosted 1 week ago
Role: Senior Data Engineer
Reports to: Machine Learning Engineering Manager
The Trevor Project is the world’s largest suicide prevention and crisis intervention organization for LGBTQ young people. We are a non-profit that provides 24/7 life-saving support via phone, text, and chat. We also operate the world’s largest safe space social networking site for LGBTQ youth and run innovative research, education, and advocacy programs. We’ve been saving lives every day for over 20 years.
Overview of the role
The Data Engineer will serve as the technical owner of all data infrastructure at The Trevor Project, connecting our source systems (including Salesforce, Okta, Mailchimp, Google Analytics, Humanity, SAP Litmos, and Amplitude) to our BigQuery data warehouse via Fivetran. This person will work closely with our in-house Machine Learning Team, Data Analyst Team (which has expertise in SQL, DBT, and Looker) and our data pipeline consulting vendor, Brooklyn Data Co. This person’s work will significantly advance The Trevor Project’s ability to make strategic improvements to our life-saving programs using data!
Who you are
- Git Expert. You have experience and a comfort level with programming and can read and write code in Python and SQL.
- Builder. You’re someone who has experience creating or maintaining infrastructure needed to orchestrate data pipelines and store data with different performance requirements and computation goals. Experience with tools like Google Analytics/Google Cloud, BigQuery, and FiveTran is a plus.
- Experienced. You have a proven track record of owning tech solutions and being a proactive problem solver.
- Goal-oriented. You set aggressive goals that are achievable, then focus on exceeding them.
- Collaborative. You understand that the best way to meet and exceed goals is through outstanding teamwork.
- Flexible. You are comfortable navigating ambiguity and working through competing priorities.
- Passionate. You care about LGBTQ youth. You care about saving lives. You want to come to work and feel inspired every day. You want to change the world.
- Fun. The work we do is very serious, but that doesn’t mean we don’t have fun. We know how to have a good time and you should too.
What you'll do
- Strategically partner with teams across the organization to understand data infrastructure needs
- Lead tech projects from to end to end utilizing a variety of technical programs and skills including, but not limited to:
- Advanced skills required: Python, Git, SQL (with an emphasis on aggregate/analytical functions), and writing and maintaining technical documentation (in English)
- Intermediate skills required: Looker (LookML)
- Own data pipelines to ensure accuracy, utility, and upkeep of information and provide updates and recommendations on usage when necessary
- Route new data pipelines to integrate with new and existing systems
- Ensuring data integrity and data privacy for constituents
- Maintaining and creating ETL processes for data ingestion
- Other tasks, duties, or special projects as assigned
- Generous vacation and holidays (like a full day off to celebrate Harvey Milk Day!)
- Comprehensive health insurance, including coverage for various gender affirmation surgeries (and we pay 100% of your premiums for medical, dental, and life)
- Flexibility to work from anywhere in the U.S. (we provide the technology, a monthly amount for internet and office supplies, and a reimbursement to outfit your work-from-home space!)
- Fun virtual office environment and passionate team
- Online Subscription to Headspace, a digital meditation platform
- Meaningful work at an organization that is saving the lives of LGBTQ young people across America every day
- The Trevor Project is an equal opportunity employer
We’re excited to hear from you! To join Team Trevor, please upload a resume and cover letter. Applications without cover letters will not be considered. Use this as an opportunity to convey why you want to be the next Senior Data Engineer at The Trevor Project!