Senior DevOps Engineer
Helm · Remote - Nationwide
Helm is a team of scientists, designers, engineers, and campaigners with a mission to power civic participation for a more equitable future. Building and sustaining issue-focused movements means meeting communities where they are. And that requires data on people's behaviors, motivations, and environments – not just partisanship or surface-level characteristics. Helm is working with issue advocates and community organizers to equip them with the data and tools they need to mobilize their communities even more effectively.
We are a growing team that values empathy, curiosity, diversity, transparency, and empowerment. So if you're highly motivated and passionate about increasing civic engagement, we encourage you to apply.
We are looking for an experienced Senior DevOps Engineer who is passionate about building highly available and scalable services to power a variety of applications. A successful candidate will bring strong analytical ability, cloud infrastructure expertise, and the ability to deliver results within a fast-moving, agile environment. This is a full-time position reporting to the Senior Director of Infrastructure. Helm is a remote-first company.
What you'll be doing:
- As a key member of an agile DevSecOps team, you will design, code, and maintain performant, reliable infrastructure and platforms.
- Set up monitoring and improve reliability and performance using SRE practices.
- Automate tasks using various configuration management and scripting tools such as Ansible, Terraform, and Python.
- Work closely with engineers to create or update systems for new and existing features.
- Participate in on-call rotation for critical systems.
- Document scripts and write guides to help educate the engineering team.
- Enable self service automation and shift left ethos for development teams by building and enhancing DevSecOps pipelines using scripting and programming languages.
- Drive the next evolution of our microservices based low-code architecture practices.
- Provide mentorship and promote engineering best practices throughout the company.
- Work with the support team to triage bugs and troubleshoot production issues.
- Assess project risks, quantify risk/benefit relationships and provide alternative solutions and risk mitigation.
Skills you should have:
- 5+ years experience building and working on cloud infrastructure for large scale distributed systems (primarily AWS based).
- Strong in operational best practices such as monitoring, permissions, disaster recovery, and configuration management.
- Experience with multiple programming languages and automation tools such as Python, Ansible, and Cloudformation.
- Experience with unit and integration testing, continuous integration, and deployment workflows.
- Experience with developing REST APIs and integrating third-party APIs.
- Knowledge of software engineering fundamentals, patterns, and design.
- Knowledge of security best practices and how to implement them in cloud infrastructure.
- Strong communication skills.
Skills you could have:
- Full-stack engineering experience.
- Experience with NoSQL databases and data warehousing platforms.
- Experience building low-code platforms.
- Understanding of AWS services like ECS, Fargate, MSK, and Lambda.
We know that the best candidates don't always check every box in a job description. Please apply if you are eager to grow professionally and develop your skills!
Helm prioritizes hiring and retaining talent that is passionate about our mission to power civic participation for a more equitable future. In support of that mission, we value diverse perspectives and career experience and prioritize equal pay. We base compensation for most positions on the current market value for those roles in the technology, politics, and advocacy sectors.
The annual base salary for this position is $145,000-$175,000; commensurate with experience. Helm offers a robust benefits package in addition to salary.
Helm is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity of representation across all spectrums in its hiring. This includes, but is not limited to: race, gender, age, color, religion, national origin, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, educational background, political affiliation, or any other protected class.
That being said, we are a small company and therefore unable to accommodate candidates in need of work sponsorship at this time.