Software Engineer - Backend (Data Systems)
WeaveGrid · San Francisco, CA/Remote (USA)
About the job
At WeaveGrid, we are working to accelerate the electrification of transportation and the decarbonization of the electric grid. At the core of our product offerings are complex backend data systems that monitor or manage the charging of electric vehicles participating in utility programs that we facilitate. We are looking for strong backend engineers to help us build, run, and shape these systems for our next phase of growth. No previous experience in the energy sector is required.
In this role, we will ask you to:
- Design and implement features and improvements to WeaveGrid’s central data systems incl. a complex charge-management system.
- Work closely with other engineers and product stakeholders to extend our product capabilities and/or improve reliability, effectiveness, scalability of existing offerings
- Work with our Python backend, relational database schemas, and microservice architecture.
- Test your code to ensure completeness and correctness.
- Be hands-on with our AWS-based cloud production environment e.g. rollouts, instrumentation
- Grow your engineering skills and help others on the team do the same by participating in design reviews and code reviews.
- Use Kubernetes, AWS, GitHub, Jira/Confluence, CircleCI, though experience here is not necessary.
- You want to apply your talents and 2+ years of professional experience to meaningfully address climate change.
- You’re excited to collaborate with team members during reasonable local working hours (Pacific Time). If local to the SF Bay Area, you are excited about our office and a flexible office schedule.
- You care about the craft of software. You feel a sense of ownership about code. You enjoy solving hard problems and don’t mind the complexity of software that interacts with “the real world”
- You have an interest in cloud-based backend data systems, software interacting with real-world devices, real-time data processing. Past experience working in these areas is a huge plus!
- You have solid experience working in an object-oriented programming language - Python preferred.
- You enjoy being hands-on in the full lifecycle of software development - from early design to testing, production deployment, and post-launch iteration
- You are comfortable working within a microservice based architecture and have experience with Docker, Kubernetes, or other microservice technologies.
- You appreciate Agile software development and DevOps practices.
- You believe in constant learning and are excited to help us build this growing company and have experience working on smaller teams or at smaller companies.
About the process
- Apply, and send us your resume/CV (we’ll do our best to reply within a week)
- Complete a coding assessment demonstrating your abilities as backend engineer OR hop on a video call and complete a similar coding problem with one of our engineers collaboratively in real time.
- Interview with two small panels, spanning a variety of engineers and managers at Weavegrid.