Software Engineer - Frontend
SkyTruth · Remote
About the Organization
SkyTruth is a conservation technology nonprofit that inspires people to protect the planet by using satellite imagery, big data, and the latest technological innovations to reveal environmentally damaging actions and make their impacts visible and measurable. Since its founding in 2001, countless organizations around the world have used SkyTruth’s products to hold polluters accountable for harmful activities that would otherwise remain hidden from view.
Mission: Sharing the view from space to promote conservation for people and the planet.
Vision: Everyone around the world enjoys a healthy environment and sustainable livelihood because transparency is the norm: polluters know they will be seen and caught, industries have cleaned up their practices, and governments are vigorously enforcing environmental protection.
SkyTruth’s Flagship Projects
Cerulean and Verdant apply artificial intelligence to analyze satellite imagery at scale. Cerulean automates the near real-time detection of oil pollution at sea, from cargo ships and tankers as well as oil and gas platforms, and identifies the polluters. Verdant is an effort to automatically detect changes in landscapes and ecosystems that signify threats to biodiversity and human wellbeing.
For more information about SkyTruth and our projects, please visit our website.
About the Position
SkyTruth is seeking a creative software engineer to (1) Lead the development of high visibility frontend applications; (2) Provide the team with support on cloud infrastructure and automation; (3) Work closely with the CTO to shape the growing engineering team at SkyTruth. This is a great role for someone who wants to grow their skills and lead high visibility engineering initiatives at a growing organization. This position will report to the CTO.
To start, the primary responsibility of the role will be to lead the development of a standalone React-based frontend interface for the Cerulean oil pollution monitoring project, which will provide free and open access to dynamic maps, data feeds (e.g. FastAPI based REST API), and analytics to journalists, advocacy groups, and the general public.
Following this, the successful candidate will continue to lead the development of user interfaces for SkyTruth’s conservation technology products as part of a strengths-based team, with opportunities for growth and development depending on the background and interests of the candidate.
Additional responsibilities are expected to include:
- Contributing to SkyTruth’s Alerts application (alerts.skytruth.org), which resides in the Google Cloud Platform and is composed of a React frontend (Google App Engine), PostgreSQL database, API (Django/App Engine flexible environment) and various backend repositories.
- Working alongside other members of the technical team on cloud infrastructure, tooling, and automation.
- Working with the CTO to design a set of lightweight DevOps (Development and Operations) processes to support rapid, reliable development across the technical team.
- Providing support and mentorship for other members of the SkyTruth technical team on best practices, tools, and ideas in your area of expertise.
- Developing and maintaining informed awareness and continuing education on relevant topics to effectively carry out all of the activities listed above.
- Other duties as assigned.
- High motivation to build tools that have a unique, measurable impact on global conservation.
- Demonstrated track record of translating user requirements into successful products and testing features with users.
- At least 2 years of experience developing frontend interfaces using React.
- At least 1 year of experience with version control (Git, GitHub) and basic CI/CD tooling.
- At least 1 year of experience developing in a cloud environment (SkyTruth primarily uses Google Cloud) and managing and utilizing serverless tools and automations (e.g. Kubernetes; Terraform; Docker; Google Cloud Functions).
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills (English language) with general and technical audiences alike.
- Able to work and excel independently but strong desire to support, collaborate, and solve problems alongside colleagues.
- If your experience and interests only match some of the above, we still want to hear from you! This position is primarily focused on frontend development; there is room for the right candidate to grow into other aspects of the role.
- Programming experience with Python.
- Experience working with remote sensing and geospatial data.
- Experience with or desire to learn SQL, Django, PostgreSQL, Google BigQuery, or similar tools.
Compensation and Benefits
This is a full-time salaried position with a minimum salary of $110,000, with final compensation depending on skills and experience. SkyTruth offers a robust benefits package that includes a range of health insurance options and a retirement plan with a generous company match.
Our Interview Process
Qualified candidates will be invited to schedule a 60-minute interview with our hiring manager. This may be followed by a 1-2 hour technical take home exercise, which may subsequently be followed by 3 additional interviews with other members of the SkyTruth team. Reasonable accommodations will be provided as requested by candidates throughout all aspects of the selection process.
SkyTruth is a fully remote organization working across multiple time zones, so working hours may vary according to geography as well as operational and personal needs. Candidates can be located anywhere in the United States and must be able to reliably accommodate meetings across North American time zones. Periodic domestic and international travel may be necessary to participate in conferences, presentations, and meetings. Periodic (1-2 times per year) in-person team onsite meetings will resume when safe to do so given the COVID-19 pandemic.
Diversity, Inclusion, and Equity
The staff and leadership of SkyTruth believe that diversity and inclusion among our teammates are critical to our success as an organization. We seek to recruit, develop, and retain the most talented people from diverse backgrounds, beliefs, and cultures. SkyTruth is an equal opportunity employer. We hire and promote qualified professionals without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, gender identity, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, genetic, marital status, disability, age, membership in an employee organization, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factors. We are committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for all employees of SkyTruth and our partners, vendors, suppliers, and contractors. Your skills and experiences are needed here!
Please send resume/CV with the subject “SkyTruth software engineer application - Tech Jobs For Good” to [email protected]. Providing links to or examples of past work is helpful but not required.