Ellevest · Remote (USA)
Who We Are
Ellevest is a fast-growing, venture-backed financial services start-up built by women, for women. Our mission is to get more money in the hands of women, no matter where they’re starting or how far they’ve come. We started by building the only gender-aware online investing platform that takes totally un-ignorable realities (like pay gaps, different salary curves, and women’s longer lifespans) into account. Then we added banking, learning, and money and career coaching services for Ellevest members, plus a full-service private wealth management service that helps high net worth people, families, and institutions align their financial power with their values.
Ellevest was co-founded by Wall Street veteran Sallie Krawcheck after she realized that the financial services industry was built by men, for men, systemically leaving women behind. During her Wall Street days, she served as CEO of Smith Barney, CEO of Merrill Lynch Wealth Management, and CFO of Citi. Ellevest has raised $145 million from investors including Rethink Impact, Pivotal Ventures, Valerie Jarrett, Salesforce Ventures, PayPal Ventures, MasterCard, Khosla Ventures, Morningstar, and Venus Williams.
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
Ellevest is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity at our company. Data shows that diverse teams are more innovative, make better decisions, and lead to greater employee engagement. When hiring, we look for culture add, not culture fit. That means hiring people who bring new perspectives and different experiences to our team. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
About This Position
Product designers at Ellevest are responsible for translating complex information and emotional moments into delightful experiences. Reporting to the Director of Product Design, you’ll collaborate closely with the product and engineering teams at every stage of the product process from defining problems & requirements, to overseeing builds. You’ll also collaborate with our Brand Designers to create a consistent user and brand experience at every touchpoint of the product.
You are wholeheartedly focused on the user, and believe that regular testing and iteration is the key to delivering a successful product. You have a good sense for when to apply established patterns and styles, as well as when to evolve them (while updating our style guide and documentation accordingly). You feel comfortable making recommendations to stakeholders for the best user experience, even if that means going back to the drawing board to create a solution that balances both user and business needs.
Day-to-day you will:
- Partner with product and engineering teams to define problems & goals
- Map user flows, create design solutions, and prototype interactions
- Deliver design solutions that challenge convention and create engagement
- Give and receive design feedback among peers
- Pitch confidently to stakeholders with the user in mind
- Conduct / participare in user testing to hypothesize and validate customer needs
- Use qualitative and quantitative data to optimize product features
- Be an evangelist for UX and UI best practices
- Work with a design system to create consistency across the product & brand
We’re looking for:
- 3+ years of product design experience
- A portfolio of (shipped) digital product design showcasing complex and creative UX solutions, exceptional visual design and solid information architecture
- Experience iterating on a live product, in an in-house environment
- Ability to move quickly from concept to whiteboard to execution
- Openness to receiving feedback and having your opinions challenged
- Strong written and oral communication skills -- present your work confidently to any audience (engineers, PMs, executives, other designers, etc.)
- Ability to prioritize projects, communicate progress, and deliver on time
- Ability to thrive in an unstructured, fast-moving and constantly evolving high growth environment
- Passion for our women-oriented mission
Working at Ellevest
Ellevest was founded in New York City, but today, our fully remote team is spread across the whole United States. As a member of the team, you can expect to do work that directly impacts our mission and the lives of real women every day.
We’re also dedicated to building a work environment where everyone on our team can grow and thrive, with flexible working hours and time off; remote work policies designed for transparency and effective cross-team collaboration; ongoing team building and professional development; and more.
Do you think you could thrive in this role?
Please send us your application — even if you don’t check every single box. No two people’s career paths look exactly alike, and skill sets come in many different forms. We can’t wait to hear about yours.
Note: Instead of a cover letter, we ask you to answer the questions at the bottom of this application.