Data Engineer (Remote)
charity: Water · Remote
Main areas of focus: Data pipeline development (ETL, ELT, data transformation), Data reliability (via data monitoring and data observability systems), Data product support
Location: Remote - U.S. only.
Eligibility: charity: water is fully remote and hires from all 50 U.S. states. At this time, we are only considering candidates who are eligible to work in the United States without the need of company sponsorship now or in the future.
You’ll implement data pipelines, data models, and monitoring systems enabling the organization to derive insights through high-quality data that drive business solutions and improvements.
As a Data Engineer at charity: water, you’ll play a crucial role in democratizing data, enhancing internal transparency, and improving the reliability of our product and revenue data. You will report to, and work with the Head of Data Management to implement new models and improve existing data architecture, build ETL pipelines, advocate for data governance and accessibility with a goal of driving product improvements and deriving business solutions and insights. You will lay the groundwork to develop analytics and data science as a practice. You will write tests and documentation and develop systems to support the maintenance of data models; alerting data owners of issues in data capture and leverage data observability components to troubleshoot and resolve the issues. You will work cross-departmentally to identify reporting needs and help create reports and dashboards that tell data stories of our revenue and product performance.
YOU’LL BE RESPONSIBLE FOR…
● Developing and maintaining data architecture to support revenue data and operations
● Supporting data reporting needs organization-wide, identifying ways to improve data reliability, efficiency and quality
● Maintaining data observability solutions to monitor data quality and availability throughout our data life cycle
● Refactoring, reorganizing, and cleaning up legacy content and architecture, ensuring a healthy BI environment and codebase
● Supporting the data team through the application of best practices, such as code-linting, data tests, and documentation
● Enhancing the data infrastructure and tech stack to support automation and continuous deployment of predictive models, scalability, and optimized data delivery
YOU MUST HAVE…
● 2-4 years of experience in data engineering or data development
● A degree in computer science, information systems, engineering, math/statistics, or related field
● Experience with combining structured and unstructured data from numerous sources
● Experience writing complex SQL queries, Postgres preferred
● Experience in programming, Python preferred, orchestrating pipelines, ingesting data
● Implementation experience in data quality monitoring & data modeling
● Strong written and oral communication skills
● Strong business intuition and ability to understand complex business systems
IT’S AN ADDED PLUS IF YOU HAVE…
● Experience with cloud-based data warehouses such as Redshift, BigQuery, or Snowflake
● Experience with analytical engineering transformational tools such as dbt
● Experience in data observability efforts and tooling
● Experience with data pipeline orchestration tools, such as Apache Airflow
● Experience with BI tools such as Looker, Tableau, Power BI, etc.
● Experience participating in and enabling data governance practices
● Data science experience, e.g.: building predictive models, monitoring model performance, etc.
YOU’LL BE SUCCESSFUL IF...
You get things done
You follow through on every request, no matter how big or small. You keep your cool under pressure and know how to prioritize your responsibilities. And when you need help, you're not afraid to ask.
You take initiative
You see something that needs improvement and you take action. You propose solutions to problems and research subjects that will help you do your job better. You’re proactive about asking questions and seeking clarity about requirements. You thrive in fast-paced environments with people that are constantly looking to innovate, enjoy challenges, and demand excellence.
You're passionate about accuracy
You double and triple-check your work because you know that accuracy is crucial when reporting on revenue and product data. You pay strong attention to detail, have excellent math, grammar, spelling, and proof-reading skills.
You are organized and detail-oriented
You prioritize well and are able to manage important projects, schedules, and communications in an orderly fashion.