Mark43 · New York, NY/Remote (USA)
Mark43 is approved to hire in 27 states, including AL, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, GA, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, MA, MD, ME, MI, MN, NE, NH, NJ, NM, NY, NC, OH, OR, PA, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VA, VT, WA, WV, and WI. Before applying to a remote role, please ensure that you are able to perform the position in one of the states listed above. State locations and specifics are subject to change as our hiring requirements shift.
Mark43’s mission is to empower communities and their governments with new technologies that improve the safety and quality of life for all. We build powerful, scalable, and elegant software that sets a new standard for the tools upon which our first responders rely. Our users are diverse, and we are therefore committed to embracing diversity of thought and experience within our team.
Mark43 is seeking an enthusiastic and people-focused Engineering Manager to lead development for our suite of public safety software. As an Engineering Manager, you’ll lead a team of 3-4 engineers building new features and maintaining happy customers. Our engineers will thrive and grow when supported by an inspiring, empathetic, and technically adept people manager. You will be responsible for ensuring your team meets commitments and deadlines, as well as personally helping engineers level up and become stronger contributors.
Our ideal candidate is passionate about helping their team grow as software engineers and measuring success. We will trust you to balance speed of execution with quality and technical debt, to build a product that delights our users. We also expect equal levels of enthusiasm for recruiting and solving challenging technical problems with your team.
What you can expect to work on:
- Coaching and developing your direct reports to improve both technical and non-technical skills
- Advocating on your team’s behalf to manage their collective workload and work-life balance, while still maintaining high standards of work and respecting deadlines
- Working closely with our Engineering Director and VP to set longer term strategic direction for your team and our product suite
- Maintaining and improving internal processes to help increase the efficiency, happiness, and effectiveness of your team
- Serving as a technical project manager for your team: scheduling, release planning, managing backlog, and removing roadblocks that may arise
What we expect from you:
- A strong desire to help others succeed: we hope you LOVE being a people manager and you are most fulfilled by supporting the growth and efficacy of the team you lead
- A record of leveling up your reports and providing individuals with meaningful opportunities to flourish in their role
- Experience with hiring, including sourcing candidates, interviewing candidates, participating in conferences and events, and onboarding for new employees
- A solid track record of delivering projects and collaborating with leaders across the organization: including Engineering, Product, Design, and Operations
- Previous experience as a software engineer and up to date knowledge of modern software languages, frameworks, and developer tools
- 2+ years in a software engineering management position, with experience managing at least 4 direct reports
What you can expect from us:
- Constant collaboration with numerous Mark43 teams, including design, product management, QA, and customer success
- Building mission critical and socially responsible software to enable first responders to better serve their communities
- A team that respects and embraces your ideas and expertise
- Coworkers that are motivated by pursuing excellence, rather than the prospect of personal gain
- A workplace dedicated to supporting and bettering public safety and government agencies
- Leadership and career growth opportunities which could set you on a path toward future founder roles in your career
We feel passionately about equal pay for equal work, and transparency in compensation is one vehicle to achieve that. Total compensation for this role is market competitive, including a target base annual salary range of $140,000-$180,000, plus bonus opportunity, company stock options, and a full benefits package, including health insurance, paid time off, and a 401k with a company match.