EducationSuperHighway · Remote (US)
Human Rights & Equality
Partners & Advocates
$110000 - $130000 Per YearPosted 1 week ago
EducationSuperHighway (ESH) works to bridge the digital divide by bringing free internet access to households in America's most unconnected communities. We believe that broadband is one of the most transformative technologies of our generation and can provide all Americans with equal access to education, healthcare, and economic opportunities. But every household needs high-speed broadband to make that opportunity a reality.
ESH was founded with the mission of upgrading the Internet access in every public school classroom in America. The pandemic has made it clear that home Internet is essential not only for education. We now have a historic opportunity to connect the 18 million homes that cannot afford high-speed broadband. ESH is an essential catalyst in that effort, building public-private partnerships to identify and connect the unconnected. We are a highly collaborative, entrepreneurial team. We are driven to accomplish our mission with urgency.
Equity is more than a commitment at ESH, it is the foundation of our mission. We are fully dedicated to having a staff who come from communities that are most impacted by the digital divide. We especially encourage people of color, LGBQ people, transgender and gender non-conforming people, and people with disabilities to apply. As an ESH team member you must understand the unique responsibilities and accountabilities of a diversity, equity, and inclusion focused organization.
Up to 25% of the unconnected households in America’s most unconnected communities reside in apartment buildings. ESH has launched a program to provide Wi-Fi access to residents of apartment buildings who are caught in this digital divide. We are partnering with cities, states, and other stakeholders across the U.S. to deliver service. ESH is seeking an experienced Network Consultant to act as the technical subject matter expert as we begin to scale our Apartment Wi-Fi program nationally. The Network Consultant will report to the Apartment Wi-Fi Program Director.
What You Will Do:
- Solutions Engineering - Engage with property owners, technology partners, and state and municipal governments to provide high-level thought partnership and advice based on an exceptional understanding of network design and management of residential broadband networks. Advocate for, and persuade partners to act to meet today’s home broadband speed standards.
- Procurement Support - Assist property owners and technology partners write technical specifications for the procurement of residential broadband services, including network equipment and infrastructure. Understand public funding rules and how to develop solutions that meet public funding requirements.
- Program and Product Development Support - Use insights from the local community, as well as your extensive networking experience, to support development of EducationSuperHighway’s programs and products. Ensure that the work that you do is leveraged to help as many residents as possible, which may include network support and assisting with adoption measures.
- Stakeholder Meetings - Attend stakeholder meetings in person, via phone, and via virtual conference calls. Prepare technical proposals and presentations. Provide detailed information and responses to product, solution, vendor, industry questions, and proposals. Demonstrate ability to build rapport and trust within all levels of the stakeholder organization.
- Collaborate with the Apartment Wi-Fi team and other internal cross-functional teams to define project requirements
Who Are You:
- BA/BS degree or equivalent work experience
- A minimum of 5 years hands-on experience designing or managing broadband networks
- Ability to explain networking concepts and trade-offs to a wide variety of technical and non-technical audiences; comfort in presenting to external stakeholders during meetings, webinars, and conferences about the organization, our mission and networking solutions best practices
- Significant experience working with a range of technology customers. Is comfortable negotiating with vendors to customize and adapt their solutions beyond their standard product offerings.
- Experience in the affordable multifamily housing and/or the broadband/telecom industry a major plus
- Comprehensive understanding of high level network architecture and design with an emphasis on internet backhaul technologies and Wi-Fi networks
- Deep knowledge of the Wi-Fi hardware manufacturer, internet service provider, and managed service provider landscapes. Stays up to date on evolving technology standards and policy.
- Comfortable using spreadsheets to organize and present data to cross-functional teams to aid in decision making
- A deep interest in mission-driven work to improve network connectivity for the 18 million households that can’t afford to connect
- Job Location: Remote
- Employment Type: Full time
- Salary range for this role: $110,000 - $130,000
- Preferred Start Date: 11/28/2022
- Travel: 10%