Senior Software Engineer
Rally · Remote (US)
Senior Software Engineer
Remote (U.S.) | $120,000 - $145,000 | https://rally.win
Rally is a women-owned, early stage political technology company building a suite of tools that enable progressive political campaigns and advocacy organizations to run successful, data-driven relational organizing programs. The founding team collectively has run scaled organizing programs for Jon Ossoff, Elizabeth Warren, and Pete Buttigieg, and built consumer-facing civic tech products from the ground up.
Relational organizing is the simple, proven concept that people talking to their friends and family is more effective than strangers talking to strangers. Relational organizing isn’t new—but many progressive campaigns and organizations have yet to meaningfully build programs around asking people to disseminate messaging to their friends, persuade their family members, and mobilize their networks.
We are just getting started on our mission of building progressive political power through the strength of human relationships. During the 2022 midterm elections, we powered scaled relational programs across 6 battleground states—and in the Georgia runoff election, we mobilized 1481 Community Ambassadors to reach out to 67,648 people in their communities to vote for Warnock.
We have ambitious goals to bring an integrated relational organizing platform to life for the 2023-2024 election cycle, empowering people to drive change in their communities and enabling campaign organizers to understand the impact of their programs.
If this sounds exciting to you, we’d love to hear from you!
We’re looking for a senior software engineer who is excited to work across the stack, deliver on our product roadmap, and contribute to Rally’s engineering foundations. This role will report into the Head of Engineering.
We are a small and mighty team who enjoy working collaboratively and creatively to solve hard problems. As we look towards the 2023-2024 election cycle, we will be building zero to one products and further productionizing our MVP to support relational programs running across all 50 states.
This is a full-time, remote position that offers an opportunity to get in on the ground floor of a young and fast-moving organization where you’ll be among teammates who care as deeply about the future of our democracy as you do.
What you’ll do
- Lead projects by working closely with people across the company to understand requirements, design solutions, and continuously deliver high-quality, easy-to-use software to our end-users
- Deliver net-new products and features to support our mobilizer and program manager audiences’ needs today, while building a scalable and reliable platform for the future
- Continuously evolve our engineering practices and culture that is supportive, inclusive, and strategic, where mentorship, hands-on guidance, and collaboration is the norm
Who you’ll work with
While you’ll be working with the founders and other teammates across the company, you’ll work most closely with:
- Nora (she/her), co-founder and CTO
- Nick (he/him), Head of Engineering
- Karen (she/her), designer
- Peter (he/him), engineer
What you’ll work with
We strive to build atop the shoulders of giants and not reinvent the wheel where we can:
- TypeScript, Remix, and React for our web application / UI tier
- Go for more data intensive applications
- Terraform for managing cloud infrastructure in Google Cloud Platform; we deploy Docker containers into GCP Cloud Run
- TypeScript, Go, Python, and bash/zsh for small, one-off scripts
- GitHub, GitHub Actions, and GCP Cloud Build for CICD pipelines
Who you are
- You have 4+ years of full-time professional experience building full-stack product software, ideally with some experience in an early-stage startup
- You have excellent communication skills and the ability to work well within an engineering team and with folks outside of engineering
- You have experience using git and engaging in compassionate code reviews
- You own projects from inception through production, iterating and shipping incrementally
- You are comfortable debugging and resolving issues quickly within production systems
- You have a passion for learning, sharing knowledge, and giving / providing feedback
- In addition to the above, we would be thrilled to talk to someone with:
- Familiarity with Democratic tech ecosystem (VAN, TargetSmart, voter file wrangling)
- Experience in Remix, Next.js or another SSR framework
- Experience working on a distributed team
- Familiarity with public cloud platforms, like GCP or AWS
- Experience at a high-growth startup
Find yourself checking a lot of these boxes but doubting whether you should apply? If you meet some of the requirements and you share our values, we encourage you to reach out.
Compensation and benefits
Rally may be new, but we are committed to fair and equitable compensation practices. The salary range for this remote role is $120,000 - $145,000 annually, supplemented by a generous equity package. Final compensation for this role will be determined by various factors such as a candidate's relevant work experience, skills, and certifications.
Our benefits package:
- Medical, dental, vision, and life insurance; Rally offers 100% coverage for employees
- Flexible paid time off
- You must be eligible to work in the U.S.
- You must live and work within the continental U.S. or one of its territories.
- Unfortunately, we are unable to sponsor work visas at this time.
Rally by Relentless, PBC, provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants. As part of our ongoing commitment to a diverse, equitable, and inclusive workplace, we're invested in building teams with a wide variety of backgrounds, identities, and experiences. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, genetic information or other applicable legally protected characteristics.