Senior Software Engineer/Software Architect
Verra · Remote (USA)
Verra is a global leader helping to tackle the world’s most intractable environmental and social challenges. As a mission-driven non-profit organization, Verra is committed to helping reduce greenhouse gas emissions, improve livelihoods and protect natural resources across the private and public sectors. We support climate action and sustainable development with standards, tools, and programs that credibly, transparently, and robustly assess environmental and social impacts. We also enable funding for sustaining and scaling up projects that verifiably deliver these benefits. We work in any arena where we see a need for clear standards, a role for market-based mechanisms, and an opportunity to generate significant environmental and social value.
Verra manages a portfolio of standards, including the following:
- Verified Carbon Standard (VCS) -- the world’s leading carbon crediting program, with more than 1600 registered projects in 80 countries and accounting for two-thirds of all voluntary carbon market transaction volume.
- Sustainable Development Verified Impact Standard (SD VISta) -- a flexible framework for assessing and reporting on the sustainable development benefits of project-based activities.
- Climate, Community & Biodiversity (CCB) Standards -- to identify projects that simultaneously address climate change, support local communities and smallholders, and conserve biodiversity.
- Plastic Waste Reduction Program -- to enable robust impact assessment of new or scaled-up waste recovery and recycling projects around the globe.
Verra’s is expanding the technological solutions offering through various technology-transformation initiatives such as digitalizing and automating the measurement, reporting, and verification process, utilizing ML tools to process data at scale, and enhancing the registry features for delivering quality emissions reduction credits. We are looking for a skilled, full-stack software engineer to join our fast-growing engineering team to help us develop a digital system that powers the creation of projects and issuance of credits.
A day at Verra might include...
- Writing codes and unit tests for secured REST APIs services and web applications.
- Operate our backend services and architecture that support all product functionality
- Collaborating cross-functionally, as well as evaluating and executing trade-offs to maximize Verra’s impact through the deployment of technology solutions
What will you do?
- Work on our micro-service architecture to build standard services (e.g., Identity, Authentication, Authorization, Inter-service communication, Notifications, etc.) to ensure and guide other engineering teams
- You will build frameworks and tools for identifying scaling bottlenecks (e.g., load testing, security scanning), measuring, monitoring, and optimizing our backend performance to ensure high availability, scalability, and fault tolerance
- Develop, release and run large-scale web applications
- Develop and define the backend architecture and tech stack across multiple products
- Improve performance, reliability, scalability, and security for our backend systems
- Develop/review test plans, test execution, and test results as part of quality assurance during the development and maintenance of software applications
- Create appropriate documentation of each aspect of the application for future upgrades and maintenance.
- Communicating between internal staff and external consultants on system specification, design analysis, and integration
You bring with you...
- Knowledge of CS fundamental concepts
- Coordinate the efficiency, scalability, and stability of system resource
- A degree in computing, mathematics, engineering, or a related field
- 10+ years of experience building integrated web applications involving database, REST API, and user interface using C#, Angular, ASP.Net Core MVC/WebAPI, Entity Framework Core
- Prior experience working with the Agile team for software development and version control (e.g., git), and Unit Testing service-oriented architecture
- Experience with SQL and NoSQL databases and other technologies (e.g., Postgres, Redis, Elasticsearch, RabbitMQ, EntityFramework)
- Develop deployable architecture through code on Azure
- Experience deploying micro-services on Docker and Kubernetes
- A positive attitude, flexible personality, and team-player mentality
In this role, you will grow and expand your expertise by...
- Learning about technological innovations for advancing climate action and sustainable development through carbon markets and standards
- Building a basic knowledge of the technological solution functions in a non-profit organization
- Working at a fast-paced, environmentally-focused non-profit organization
- Researching innovative tools and technologies and designing solutions that will benefit the climate and environment
You will know you are successful if...
- Employees and stakeholders are using the applications such as MRV and monitoring systems maintained and supported by you
- You have managed to create several software requirement documents and implemented applications and tools and made application integrations for data exchange across the platforms
- You have effectively implemented enhancement requests from program managers and other key stakeholders and addressed user-specific concerns
You will join a team...
- From diverse locations and backgrounds;
- Committed to driving programs that advance climate action and sustainable development through high-quality web applications, database solutions, and analytical platforms using the latest and evolving technology stacks;
- That embodies the values Verra has established for itself, which include Collaboration, Results, Integrity, Balance, and Exploration;
- That is rapidly growing!
Compensation at Verra
To help us attract and retain top talent, Verra pays employees competitively to the market. In return, we expect each employee to, at a minimum:
- Meet expectations in terms of work effort and performance;
- Take the initiative to build the skills and knowledge needed to do their job effectively; and
- Embody Verra’s values
For this position, the salary range is USD 100,000 - USD 150,000, depending on experience.
We will recognize employees who go beyond expected performance with salary increases and/or promotions, but the bar for earning those rewards is high.
Salary is one component of Verra’s total compensation package, which also includes the following:
- Top-tier health, vision, dental care, and life insurance;
- Verra contributions to each employee’s retirement plan;
- Verra contributions as required by national labor laws in countries where staff are located;
- Paid Time Off (PTO), comprising 22-30 days plus ten floating holidays, sabbatical after five years of service, and other leave allowances; and
- Funds to support professional development.
How to Apply
To apply, please send us the following:
- Cover letter (not to exceed one page)
- Resume/CV (not to exceed two pages)
*Please add app.bamboohr.com to your contact list to ensure you receive emails from us*
Verra provides equal opportunity for all job applicants and employees and is committed to providing a work environment free of discrimination. We conduct our recruitment and hiring without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, marital status, pregnancy, physical or mental disability, genetics, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, and local law.