National Data Engineering Director
America Votes · Remote (US) or Hybrid
America Votes works with over 400 state and national partner organizations to advance progressive policies, win elections, and protect every American’s right to vote.
Since 2003, America Votes has been the common link between many of the largest and most influential issue and membership organizations in the country, serving as the coordination hub of the progressive community. America Votes’ work has brought together a wide range of causes and built a unified coalition that has transformed how the progressive community works. Together, they have engaged communities across the country to take action on critical issues – from fighting for working families, defending reproductive rights, protecting the environment, and more – and mobilized millions of voters.
America Votes works year-round nationally and in more than 20 states, acting as a permanent campaign to continually advance progressive causes, modernize elections, and win elections. America Votes provides a range of services to partners, including strategic planning, advocacy and electoral campaign coordination, data tools and targeting services, and on-the-ground leadership in key states.
America Votes also works to improve election systems and fight back against efforts to suppress voters, taking the lead throughout their state network to coordinate and execute advocacy campaigns with allies to reform elections and modernize the voting process.
Commitment to Racial Equity
America Votes is committed to advancing racial equity through organizational systems and policies that are consistently tested, evaluated and updated. Some organizational priorities include:
- Building reflective and equitable state and national networks and partnerships.
- Increasing engagement of state-based groups building power in communities of color in the planning process.
- Expanding the Community Power Builders program, designed to support organizations led by and working in communities of color as they emerge into the 501(c)(4) space.
America Votes sees its commitment to racial equity as an integral part of its success. Applicants are encouraged to reflect on how they see themselves contributing to America Votes’ work on advancing racial equity.
America Votes is looking for an experienced data engineering director who can manage the databases, pipelines, and other infrastructure that America Votes uses to gather, analyze and share data across the progressive space. This person will build and manage the data engineering team, and work closely with other parts of the data team and state data directors. The ideal candidate is excited about maintaining and improving our existing infrastructure, as well as willing to dream big about new tooling to help us better access and use data.
This is a permanent, full-time management position that reports to the National Data & Targeting Director and is not union eligible.
- Manage the Data Engineering team. This includes supervising the day-to-day work of the Data Engineering team, and working with other data verticals and departments to understand and shape the role of engineering at America Votes.
- Create or maintain Airflow pipelines used to load data into our Redshift database, as well as pipelines to send data from our warehouse to partners or user-facing tools.
- Be responsible for overall cloud infrastructure, which currently includes Amazon Redshift, s3, AWS hosted servers, and Airflow on Google Composer.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Multiple years working in software, analytics, or data engineering, including meaningful experience as a people manager.
- Desire and track record of educating, mentoring, and developing junior to mid-level team members.
- Strong interpersonal skills and a professional approach to communicating with partners, team members, and vendors.
- Excellent SQL and Python skills; experience using APIs, Python, and data orchestration tools to create and maintain data pipelines.
- Comfortable using and training staff on git and code review best practices such as branches and pull requests.
Nice to Haves
- Experience working or volunteering on a political campaign or with a progressive organization.
- Experience working with voter files or political tools such as NGP/VAN.
- Experience creating and administering databases and other cloud infrastructure.
- Experience with data transformation and visualization tools such as dbt (data build tool), Tableau, or Google Data Studio.
- Understanding of unit testing, CI/CD, and other software engineering best practices.
- Hiring Manager Resume Review
- Initial Hiring Manager Interview (30 min)
- Technical Assessment (done on own time, asked to limit to 4 hours)
- Panel Interview (1 hr)
- (Potential) Final Interview with Hiring Manager and Executive Director (45 minutes)
- Reference Check
How you’ll ramp
- 30 days: Get the overview of our data stack, understand key python and SQL scripts in our codebase.
- 60 days: Understand how our national and state data staff use our data infrastructure. Contribute to internal planning conversations about our databases and airflow infrastructure.
- 90 days: Create and launch your first airflow DAG to load data into our data warehouse.
The location for this position is flexible. Some travel and reasonable access to an airport is required. America Votes has offices located in DC and CO, FL, GA, MI, MN, NC, NH, NM, NV, OH, PA, and WI. America Votes is currently working remotely; however, if you are based in a state with an America Votes office, a hybrid approach may be possible at this time, depending on local guidance.
The salary for this position will be between $125,000 - $135,000 and depend upon the applicant’s experience. America Votes offers a competitive benefits package covering 90% of employee medical, dental, & vision insurance premiums, life insurance, long term disability coverage, cell phone stipend, personal professional development funds, parental leave, and 401 (K) after six months of continuous service with the organization. America Votes provides a generous paid time off policy with paid vacation, paid sick leave and personal days, at least 10 Federal paid holidays including Juneteenth, as well as paid organizational time off from at least December 25 to January 1.
America Votes is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse, inclusive and equitable workplace. America Votes does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, veteran status or any other protected category under local, state or federal law. People of color, LGBTQ candidates, individuals with disabilities, and neurodivergent individuals are strongly encouraged to apply.