Junior Full-Stack Engineer
Forerunner · Remote (US)
What We Do
The engineering team at Forerunner strives to be small but dedicated, working tirelessly to help local governmental bodies and their floodplain managers reason about the flooding risks that all communities face in the USA. The domain is complicated, nuanced, and rapidly changing, and we at Forerunner break down this complexity for our users so they can do what truly matters - fight against climate change and the possible loss of homes in the case of flooding. Learn more about our product and what we do here.
Engineers at Forerunner can work remotely from anywhere in the United States, so long as they are willing to work on either Eastern or Central timezones. For the most part, we offer schedule flexibility and ask for accountability in return. We are also not sponsoring H1-B visas at this time, so permanent residency or citizenship is required.
Our tech stack and other engineering tools include, but are not limited to:
- Typescript / React.js frontend with
- GraphQL API powered by a Node.js Typescript backend, also with
- Postgres as our database, alongside heavy use of
- git, Github and Github Actions for code review and CI
- Deployment to Heroku / AWS Batch using Docker containers
- A variety of other cloud providers, such as GCP
Expertise with all of the technologies above is by no means not necessary, although familiarity with one or more of them are nice to have.
We strongly encourage people from underrepresented groups to apply - the problem of climate change impact all of us, and we want to reflect that within our team's composition.
A junior engineer at Forerunner has the following responsibilities:
- Build and test software on a day-to-day basis, working in various different areas of the application. This means working on a postgres query one day and on a React component the next, all the while making sure this work is adequately tested.
- Pair-program when needed. This means hopping on a Slack or Zoom call with another engineer to collaborate on a particularly thorny piece of code or to talk through different approaches that can be used to solve the problem at hand.
- Help plan small projects in tight collaboration with the product team. The engineering team values building up its more junior members by giving them opportunity to guide projects with adequate support from more senior members.
- Communicate clearly, whether in a stand-up meeting, planning meeting, or otherwise. We're a small team working entirely remotely, which requires us to be prompt and clear with both written and spoken communication.
- Actively contribute to improving our engineering culture, documentation and processes. There is no better feedback than that of a junior engineer, as they usually come at things with fresh eyes.
- Do occasional triage work. We have a triage rotation that, although low maintenance, still requires an engineer to monitor the application’s health and make sure that other, non-technical employees have adequate support from engineering if a bug rolls around.
What We Offer
Forerunner is a young startup with an interdisciplinary team. We are motivated by seemingly intractable problems and work hard to support one another.
We're mission-driven. Our mission orients our business strategy and pushes us to work with a sense of urgency. We’re in the weeds - our entire team spends time engaging with our partners in the field to better understand the real-world problems they face.
We're a small team. As a member of our growing team, you will quickly become an invaluable part of our organization and have a meaningful impact on our business and technical direction. We welcome unique perspectives and backgrounds. Your opinion matters and we hope you'll share it.
We build each other up. A team works best when its members are adequately equipped with the tools to tackle the problems they are facing. Forerunner strives to provide adequate feedback and appropriate learning opportunities to help all its team members expand their skills.
We want you to be happy and healthy. Forerunner offers competitive compensation, health/vision/dental coverage (we pay 70%), a 401k plan, and one expensed lunch per week. We also have a quarterly wellness reimbursement so that you can have flexibility in defining what “health” means to you.