Working Families Party · Remote (USA)
Public Service & Civic Engagement
$80,000 - $125,000 Per YearPosted 1 week ago
About the Working Families Party
The Working Families Party (WFP) is the progressive party for the multiracial working class, fighting for a nation that works for the many, not the few. We recruit, train, and support transformational candidates up and down the ballot — and run them to win.
We believe that no matter where we come from or what our color, most of us want the same things. We want to earn enough to thrive, not just survive, and leave a better future for our kids. We want healthy food and clean water, safe neighborhoods and a safe world. We want to be free.
The Working Families Party is regular people coming together across our differences to make a better future for us all. We’re a multiracial party that fights for workers over bosses and people over the powerful. We want an America which realizes the promise – unrealized in our history – of freedom and equality for all.
Votivate is a voterfile management and canvassing toolset that has been incubated by the Working Families Party since 2018. It has been used by hundreds of campaigns and organizations who either cannot afford other tools or who choose to build political power independently.
We are in search of a Software Engineer to help maintain and build features for the Votivate web and mobile applications, enabling the growth needed to become an established force on the left by 2024.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Lead and contribute to the development of web and mobile applications that span the entire software stack, including prototyping, front-end development, API development, high-performance back-end applications, database design, and system architecture.
- Write and review well-documented code that is easy to read, test, maintain, extend, and scale.
- Debug, analyze, and resolve scaling problems, with tactics like architecture simplification, adding caching layers or queues, etc.
- Contribute to system architecture decisions as well as manage code and project complexity as both a tractable challenge and a liability.
- Manage, translate, and prioritize requests from non-technical colleagues such as product managers, designers, QA specialists, and other stakeholders.
- When possible, think about how to open-source projects or tools that share our innovations back with the larger progressive developer community.
Skills and Qualifications
- Have significant experience with modern web and mobile application development, with React and NodeJS experience a plus.
- Have some experience with application database query optimization and SQL, particularly PostgreSQL experience a plus.
- Have experience using cloud-based git version control and engaging in thorough code reviews.
- Be comfortable debugging and resolving issues quickly within production systems, including deployment infrastructure.
- Be able to work effectively independently while also being comfortable pairing frequently with other engineers and collaborating effectively as part of a fully remote team.
- See projects through from idea to prototyping, design, production, scaling, and beyond.
- Have a passion for constantly learning, sharing knowledge, and applying newly learned concepts and innovations to our projects.
What Else Should You Know
- Location: The position is full-time and remotely based anywhere in the contiguous United States.
- Salary: The salary range for this position is $80,000 to $125,00 annually. The final salary will be determined based on an internal equitable scale that takes into consideration years of experience, geographic location, and final job description. We also offer a robust benefits package for full-time employees including paid time off; health, dental, vision, and life insurance; flexible spending accounts; retirement plan options; professional development funding; and remote work support.
Working Families Party policy requires all employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, subject to reasonable accommodation under federal, state, and local law. Accommodations may not be possible for positions that require in-person contact with other staff or members of the public.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
Working Families is an equal opportunity employer with a commitment to economic and social justice. Women, people of color, LGBTQ people, people with disabilities, and members of other historically disenfranchised populations are strongly encouraged to apply. Any applicant who requires an accommodation in order to apply for or perform the essential functions of the job should contact us at [email protected] with the subject line "Application Accommodation" to request such an accommodation.