Data Analytics Software Engineer
Driver's Seat Cooperative · Portland, OR / Remote (US)
Data Analytics Software Engineer
Portland, OR or remote
Driver’s Seat Cooperative is a gig worker-owned data platform dedicated to leveling the playing field for people working in the gig economy. Rideshare and delivery drivers use our mobile app to collect and share data insights that help them earn more money and take control of their work. We then provide aggregated data to local governments and other gig economy stakeholders that use it to solve gig economy workforce and transportation problems. Those data partnerships generate our revenue and allow us to return dividends to our co-op members.
What you’ll do
Smart, innovative, and efficient use of data is at the core of our work at Driver’s Seat. Your role will be one part data scientist and one part data engineer - always focussed on expanding Driver’s Seat’s capacity to derive value from our data.
Operationally, you will ensure the delivery of high-quality data products to our existing customers with an eye towards automating data pipelines and data delivery. Over time, you will help Driver’s Seat expand its offering by contributing to a self-service platform for data delivery. In this role, you may be called upon to help existing and prospective customers to better understand our data and how it may be used to answer their questions.
Strategically, you will help Driver’s Seat use data to fulfill its mission by developing analyses that shed new light on the impact of gig economy/new mobility platforms. In addition, your analytics work will support the development of worker-facing products that help gig workers take control of their work and earn more money.
Technologies we use
- Angular/Ionic mobile application
- Elixir API layer
- PostgreSQL database
- PostGIS for geospatial data
Skills and experience
We’re looking for creative, fast, careful, highly collaborative people who can quickly join a team, ask sharp questions about goals and strategy, and then dive into the work. You have the ability to make tradeoffs around engineering decisions and communicate them to the rest of the company. You know when to advocate for spending more time on the best solution, and when to compromise. You are proactive and comfortable when working amongst unknowns.
- Working with large data sets using SQL (Postgres) and other scripting languages, such as Python and/or R
- Geospatial analysis using geolocation data captured from mobile devices
- Data analysis and statistical/predictive modeling
- Creating data visualizations that transform complex information into readily consumable insights for both business users and consumers
- Deriving value from data sets that may have incomplete and/or imperfect data
- Incorporating QA/QC best practices to identify data anomalies and to ensure data deliverables meet high quality standards
- Experience building production data pipelines
Nice to have skills
- Software design and development experience
- Data delivery systems that manage large volumes of data
- Data security and privacy best practices
- Ability to build data pipelines that are testable and incorporated into our CI/CD framework
- Product requirements analysis/design
- Evaluate the feasibility of product ideas and/or implementation approaches based on the availability of existing data sources as well as potential new sources of information
- Identify opportunities to streamline and automate our data products
- Mobile application development concepts, especially for visualizing complex data for consumers
- Building machine learning models
- Implementation of cloud technology offerings such as Heroku, AWS, GCP, or Azure
Nice to have background
- Experience working at an early stage startup
- Solutions engineering, customer success
- Urban planning/transportation
*If you don’t check all these boxes, but are excited about the role and have ideas about how you’d contribute, please send us a note anyway.
We believe the best teams are diverse and inclusive. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or disability. We welcome applications from women, people of color, and other groups that are underrepresented in tech and transportation.