Lead DevOps Engineer
Candid · Flexible (Remote or a hybrid schedule in one of Candid’s offices in New York, NY; Atlanta, GA; Cleveland, OH; Washington, DC; or Williamsburg, VA)
Candid is looking for an experienced Lead DevOps engineer with knowledge of Agile, CI/CD, and DevOps to join our team. The ideal candidate should be methodical and demonstrate accountability, strong communication, and a strong desire to automate tasks.
Position: Lead DevOps Engineer
Reporting to: Director of IT Systems and Operations
Schedule: 35-hour work week, Monday through Friday
Location: Flexible (Remote or a hybrid schedule in one of Candid’s offices in New York, NY; Atlanta, GA; Cleveland, OH; Washington D.C.; or Williamsburg, VA)
Pay Range: $135,000 – $150,000 (compensation may vary based on skills, experience, and location)
Benefits: Health insurance (Medical, Dental, Vision), Retirement contribution with additional option for match, Company paid Life Insurance & AD&D, Paid leave time (PTO, Bereavement, Volunteer, Holiday, Parental), Short-term and Long-term disability, Pre-tax Transit, FSA
Responsible for designing and implementing enterprise infrastructure and platforms required for cloud computing. Analyzes system requirements and ensures that systems will be securely integrated with current applications. Has a deep understanding of system development in cloud environments. Work on advanced, complex technical projects. Support and maintain Candid’s Cloud systems and software; provide technical guidance to Candid staff; interact with vendors for maintenance and support as needed. Work closely with Candid Agile teams to understand automation opportunities, develop recommendations and tasks, and then proceed to implement and coordinate with each team’s support. Provide primary technical guidance and knowledge to management when making key technical purchases or decisions.
- Lead the DevOps strategy and implementation at Candid
- Responsible for building, implementing and operationalizing DevOps practices, processes and tool chain across multiple environments
- Assist technical projects through the SDLC process and/or an agile, iterative process by automating tasks
- Work with teams to take operational responsibility for their services and to establish processes and monitoring which drives incremental improvement
- Continuously improve our DevOps and infrastructure to be highly available and scalable (containers, serverless, autoscaling, etc.
- Identify a standard set of tools and automation processes, to leverage across technical projects
- Promote internal DevOps knowledge and training
- Design, plan, and oversee our cloud infrastructures (AWS & Azure)
- Design, plan, and oversee information security covering infrastructure, resiliency, data security, network architecture and design, and user access management
- Perform security assessments of applications and infrastructure
- College degree strongly preferred; equivalent experience will also be considered.
- Minimum of 7+ years of IT experience with at least 3 years of experience as an AWS Engineer
- AWS Certifications preferred
- Hands-on experience with Azure DevOps Services (Repos, Pipelines, Boards, Test Plans, Artifacts)
- Experience with additional DevOps toolchains – Source Control (Git, SVN), TeamCity or Jenkins
- Experience with one or more programming language (Python, C#, Java, etc.) and scripting language (Powershell, Bash)
- Experience working with containers and related services (AWS ECS, Kubernetes)
- Hands-on experience automating infrastructure in a cloud environment, preferably AWS
- Experience with infrastructure-as-code (with tools like Cloudformation, Terraform, Ansible, Chef, etc.) is preferred
- Experience in Agile methodology: Scrum, Kanban, Lean, etc.
- Experience with endpoint protection technologies, anti-virus, anti-Malware, etc.
- Understanding of security technologies, including, vulnerability management solutions, privileged access, and general security background
- Experience in designing, implementing, and managing systems that offer self-healing capabilities
- Experience in migrating and transforming enterprise workloads in the cloud
- Practical knowledge of cloud shared responsibility model and security best practices
- Practical knowledge of cloud foundations including:
- Networking: DNS, Security Groups, NACLs, Routes, transit gateways, etc.
- IAM: Roles, Control Policies, Organizational Units, etc.
- Exceptional troubleshooting and analytical abilities
- Ability to coordinate multiple tasks efficiently
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing
- Sensitivity and respect for racial, gender, sexual orientation, and cultural differences
- Champions and represents Candid’s core values: We’re driven, direct, accessible, curious, and inclusive
See the world. Make it better.
Every year, millions of nonprofits spend trillions of dollars around the world. Candid finds out where that money comes from, where it goes, and why it matters. Through research, collaboration, and training, we connect people who want to change the world to the resources they need to do it. Our data tools on nonprofits, foundations, and grants are the most comprehensive in the world.
Candid’s vision is an ambitious one. But we know that when we make investments in our
talent, it translates to more access and better knowledge for those working for social good around the world.
On February 1, 2019, Foundation Center and GuideStar joined forces to become Candid,
a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization.
How to apply
Please email your resume and cover letter to [email protected]. Please put the title of the position you are applying for in the subject line. Your application will only be considered if all instructions above are met.
We offer a competitive salary and excellent benefits. Due to the high volume of applicants, we typically receive, we regret that we can only contact candidates that we would like to interview.
For more information on positions available at Candid, please visit our website: https://candid.org/about/work-at-candid
Candid is a qualifying nonprofit organization as defined by the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program. As such, Candid employees may claim their employment time on their PSLF application.
Candid is an EO/AA/VET/DISABLED Employer.
We are committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion and especially encourage members of underrepresented communities to apply.
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.