Senior Director of Software Engineering
Candid · Flexible (Remote or a hybrid schedule in one of Candid’s offices in New York, NY; Atlanta, GA; Cleveland, OH; Washington DC; or Williamsburg, VA)
Candid is seeking a Senior Director of Software Engineering to grow, develop and lead our engineering teams and initiatives. This position drives significant impact and improvements across their function as well as strategically plans for how people and processes scale.
Position: Senior Director of Software Engineering
Reporting to: Vice President of Technology
Supervises: 6 Direct Reports
Schedule: 35-hour work week, Monday through Friday
Location: Flexible (Remote or a hybrid schedule in one of Candid’s offices in New York, NY; Atlanta, GA; Cleveland, OH; Washington D.C.; or Williamsburg, VA)
Pay Range: $155,000 – $185,000 (compensation may vary based on skills, experience, and location)
Benefits: Health insurance (Medical, Dental, Vision), Retirement contribution with additional option for match, Company paid Life Insurance & AD&D, Paid leave time (PTO, Bereavement, Volunteer, Holiday, Parental), Short-term and Long-term disability, Pre-tax Transit, FSA
Reporting to the VP of Technology, this position leads multiple software engineering teams and their efforts at Candid which includes web applications, APIs, data pipelines, internal business systems, integrations of systems, quality assurance and automation, as well as other technology operations and utilities. This is a senior leadership role that involves close collaboration with Technology leadership, Product Management, and other stakeholders across the organization to design, develop and implement software solutions to address complex business issues as well as providing technical leadership within the IT department. A successful candidate thrives in a highly collaborative workspace and is actively engaged in the development process.
- Lead and encourage positive software development culture
- Mentor and coach Engineering managers to guide their personal growth, foster ownership, and strive to improve performance and quality of deliverables.
- Provide direction and governance that strikes the balance between technical decisions and business alignment
- Cultivate agility in decision making and automation at scale through use of DevOps
- Interact with the Candid business community in gathering business requirements and execution of responsibilities; work with vendors in seeking solutions to Candid’s initiatives
- Provide technical strategy and oversight to Candid’s ongoing software development activities
- Oversee multiple projects across Engineering teams and manage coordination and dependencies in complex projects
- Work with Architects at Candid to guide technical architecture decisions across teams and technical solutions
- Own and manage Software Engineering department budget
- Accountable for talent (retention, hiring, professional development) for the Engineering department
- Provide thought leadership and insight into emerging trends
- Work with vice presidents, managers, business analysts, architects, software engineers, quality engineers, database administrators, and systems engineers to coordinate development efforts and align release schedules
- 10+ years of engineering, quality assurance, and architecture background with experience in multiple programming languages and advanced concepts at scale
- 5+ years Software Engineering Management experience with progressively greater responsibilities
- 5+ years’ experience with Microsoft development technologies using .NET framework
- Proven track record delivering complex software on time with high quality
- Experience managing Agile software development teams
- Experience making large-scale, system-wide changes to technical or data infrastructure that involved multiple stakeholders
- Must possess strong communication skills; be organized and analytical, and able to eliminate obstacles through creative and adaptive means. Must have exceptional problem-solving capability coupled with a desire to create practical business value.
- Experience with Software Development Lifecycle (SDLC) processes
- Experience with Microservices architecture
- Experience in Cloud Computing (AWS/Azure)
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent, Master’s degree preferred
- Sensitivity and respect for racial, gender, sexual orientation, and cultural differences.
- Champions and represents Candid’s core values: We’re driven, direct, accessible, curious, and inclusive.
- Willingness to perform other duties and special projects as needed/requested.
- Experience working with AWS services such as ECS Fargate, Lambda, S3, CloudFront, DynamoDB
- Experience with various techniques (Web application/API, Distributed architecture, Mobile first responsive design, Test-driven development)
- Experience with relational and schemaless databases (MS/SQL, MySQL, ORM technologies, MongoDB, CosmosDB, Memcached, Couchbase, Redis, Elasticsearch)
- Experience with RESTful API design and implementation using various platforms and frameworks (Azure API Management, ASP.NET Web API)
See the world. Make it better.
Every year, millions of nonprofits spend trillions of dollars around the world. Candid finds out where that money comes from, where it goes, and why it matters. Through research, collaboration, and training, we connect people who want to change the world to the resources they need to do it. Our data tools on nonprofits, foundations, and grants are the most comprehensive in the world.
Candid’s vision is an ambitious one. But we know that when we make investments in our
talent, it translates to more access and better knowledge for those working for social good around the world.
On February 1, 2019, Foundation Center and GuideStar joined forces to become Candid,
a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization.
How to apply
Please email your resume and cover letter to [email protected]. Please put the title of the position you are applying for in the subject line. Your application will only be considered if all instructions above are met.
We offer a competitive salary and excellent benefits. Due to the high volume of applicants, we typically receive, we regret that we can only contact candidates that we would like to interview.
For more information on positions available at Candid, please visit our website: https://candid.org/about/work-at-candid
Candid is a qualifying nonprofit organization as defined by the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program. As such, Candid employees may claim their employment time on their PSLF application.
Candid is an EO/AA/VET/DISABLED Employer.
We are committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion and especially encourage members of underrepresented communities to apply.
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.