Instructor, Full Stack Web Development
Pursuit · Long Island City, NY
Pursuit is a social impact organization that creates economic transformation for high-need, high-potential individuals through our technical training programs. We are not just another coding boot camp. We are a mission-driven organization that goes beyond technical instruction to offer coaching, career development, and employer partnerships that help our Fellows secure high-paying software engineering jobs and thrive in their new careers.
We are One Big Team
The passionate and collaborative team at Pursuit gives its all to achieve our mission. And it’s not just staff. We work with employer partners that love hiring our Fellows because they are so well prepared, ranging from big financial firms to scrappy startups, and everything in between. We also activate and engage hundreds of volunteers that come from all areas of the tech industry. These experts and professionals help keep our curriculum fresh and our standards for achievement high by participating in our admissions process, as well as program-specific activities such as interview training, DemoDays, Hackathons, and Capstone projects.
We are expanding our programs to reach even more individuals from low-income backgrounds, and we need more Instructors to train them. Our instructional staff play a vital role in Pursuit’s mission by teaching our Fellows the technical and coding skills necessary for their future as software engineers.
As an Instructor you will:
- Share your knowledge and love of technology with a class of adult learners by leading technical instruction via lectures, activity-based learning workshops, code reviews, and projects.
- You’ll receive support from Instructional Associates (IA) and guide their development as instructional professionals.
- You will work with our existing robust curriculum created by our in-house team. Instructors at Pursuit are encouraged to contribute feedback, ideas, improvements, activities and assets to our curriculum.
- Create a positive and professional learning environment, fostering a community that goes beyond the classroom.
- Participate in weekly meetings with the larger program team to track cohort progress through our technical curriculum.
- Empower Fellows to learn how to create websites and software, leveraging different technologies and coding languages, and instilling a love of learning new tech stacks, which they will need to continue doing in their careers.
What you need to be considered for an Instructor role:
- AS or BS in Computer Science is preferred but not required
- Minimum 1 year software engineering or experience teaching web development
- Experience teaching adult learners or coaching/mentoring junior engineers is highly preferred
- Ability to coach and mentor with empathy, while holding Fellows accountable for their own development
- BPSS Certification is a huge plus. Please note that once hired, Pursuit will require Instructors to go through the certification process. We will support the application process and pay for the licensing.
Where you’ll work:
- Virtually—for now—from your home or our community office space in Long Island City, NYC
- Because we are One Big Team, we are having conversations on what a return to in-person work schedules would look like and are actively gathering feedback from staff and fellows to determine the best course of action.
When you’ll work:
- Monday - Friday from 10:00 AM - 6:00 PM EST
$100,00 - $120,000
The range above is for the expectations as laid out in the job description, however we are often open to a wide variety of profiles, and recognize that the person we hire may be less experienced (or more senior) than this job description as posted. If that ends up being the case, the updated salary range will be communicated with you as a candidate.
- Great culture where transparency, respect, teamwork, and kindness are valued
- Data-driven curriculum and teaching methods that we always strive to improve
- Excellent curriculum team that collaborates with instructors
- Full-time employment with a program structure designed to give Instructors much-needed time off in between cohorts
- Opportunities to grow your dev skills by creating and contributing to internal applications and tools
- Managers who are trained engineers and educators, and who understand what technical instructors need to grow and thrive
- Competitive compensation in base, plus bonus and a full benefits package
- Unlimited PTO and an all-Pursuit week-long holiday the last week of December
Pursuit Values Diversity
Our team has a wide range of backgrounds and experiences, and we value the richness that diversity brings to our organization. We welcome new perspectives and affirm that all employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, ancestry, religion, national origin, age, familial or marital status, sex, sexual orientation, pregnancy, gender identity or expression, disability, genetic information, veteran status, or any other classification protected by federal, state, or local law. Pursuit is an equal opportunity employer.