Software Engineer (Innovation Lab)
Consumer Reports · Washington, DC/New York, NY/San Francisco, CA/Remote (USA)
The Full Stack Engineer within the Digital Lab team is a strong generalist who focuses on prototyping. architecting and bootstrapping early-stage software projects, including websites, databases, and mobile apps. This role involves taking an entrepreneurial approach to designing, building, and deploying new technologies: handling a variety of architecture and coding tasks, generating high quality developer documentation, and eventually transferring knowledge to other contributors and teams.
Under our CRFlex program, this position is eligible for Fully Remote status for candidates who live more than 75 miles from one of our main office locations (Yonkers, NY, Washington DC, Colchester, CT). Additionally, the successful candidate must reside in one of the following locations: Arizona, California, Connecticut, Illinois, Massachusetts, Michigan, New Hampshire, New York, Texas, Vermont, Washington D.C.
HOW YOU'LL MAKE AN IMPACT
You’ll create and ship technologies that have a real impact on the marketplace, the law, and people’s lives. CR's work includes solutions to help consumers secure their digital devices, help them take back control of their data, make it easier to buy locally and save money, and more.
- You will design, develop and implement new prototypes and apps consistent with the Digital Lab’s mission.
- You will partner with Product and Research teams to analyze business requirements, conduct feasibility assessments, document specifications, recommend technologies, set deliverable schedules and determine implementation/execution approaches.
- You will contribute full-stack software engineer support, from database to back-end to front-end development.
- You will write and maintain standard code for early-stage prototypes and MVPs of consumer facing products.
- You will implement and test software solutions using agile software development practices.
- You will create unit tests and regression tests
- You will collaborate with contractors, contributors, developers, business staff and other project team members to troubleshoot issues as required.
- You will recommend and monitor standards for coding practices throughout the Digital Lab.
- You will generate high quality developer documentation.
- You will identify returns on learning to enable continuous reduction in time from concept to prototype.
- You will facilitate knowledge transfer to other contributors and teams.
- You will supports, troubleshoot, and maintain existing software systems.
You’ll Be Highly Rated If:
- You have a bachelor's degree or equivalent experience in computer science or related fields with an additional four years of relevant experience
- Demonstrated ability to develop full-stack prototypes and MVPs
- Robust GitHub profile, competencies in open source software development
- Broad experience in software development, modern design patterns and web technologies
- Working knowledge of modern databases, e.g., mongodb
- Working knowledge of Unix environments, including shell scripting such as Perl or Python
You'll be one of our top picks if:
- Experience working in early stage or startup environments
- Exposure to React and/or React Native
This position requires you to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 prior to your start date.
WHO WE ARE
Our mission starts with you. We offer medical benefits from that start on your first day as a CR employee that include behavioral health coverage and unlimited sick days. There’s also generous family planning benefits and a generous 401K match. Learn more about how CR’s advocates for strong benefits on behalf of their employees here: https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/careers/landing-page/index.htm
FAIR PAY & A JUST WORKPLACE
Consumer Reports proudly seeks to build a richly diverse workforce by hiring people with a diversity of thoughts, identities, perspectives, and experiences that help advance the difference we make for consumers, and by ensuring our people experience equity and inclusion in their work lives. We encourage members of traditionally underrepresented communities to apply, including women, LGBTQIA people, people of color, and people with disabilities.