Lead Front-End Engineer
Candid · Remote (US) / New York, NY / Atlanta, GA / Cleveland, OH / Williamsburg, VA
Candid is seeking a Lead Front-end Engineer to lead the research, design, development, and maintenance of our front-end applications and architecture.
Position: Lead Front-End Engineer
Reporting to: Software Engineer Manager
Schedule: 35-hour work week, Monday through Friday
Location: Flexible (Remote or a hybrid schedule in one of Candid’s offices in New York, NY; Atlanta, GA; Cleveland, OH; or Williamsburg, VA)
Pay Range: $125,000 - $155,000 (compensation may vary based on skills, experience, and location)
Benefits: Health insurance (Medical, Dental, Vision), Retirement contribution with additional option for match, Company paid Life Insurance & AD&D, Paid leave time (PTO, Bereavement, Volunteer, Holiday, Parental), Short-term and Long-term disability, Pre-tax Transit, FSA
Candid is looking for a Lead Front-end Engineer who will serve as a technical lead for our front-end architecture and development of common components across the Candid product portfolio. As a member of the Technology team, this candidate will take part in designing, building, and ensuring the quality and security of Candid’s software.
- Build out Candid web products and sites, working closely with the UX design team to outline how users will interact with our products.
- Responsible for interpreting business requirements and use case functionality to code and develop interfaces that meet the expectations of the business.
- Write modular, performant, well-tested code.
- Identify and communicate front-end best practices to the team, enhancing efficiency and performance across the department.
- Identify opportunities to refactor and make features more robust
- Ability to articulate the benefits and challenges of front-end libraries, frameworks, and toolsets.
- Act as a source of information of web UI technologies and development techniques
- Pair program with peers and teammates to help teach, learn, and maintain front end code standards.
- Work with junior and senior front-end engineers, mentoring them and guiding them through proper execution of their tasks.
- Attend and contribute to design critiques to both hone your own design sense and improve team-wide work.
- Standardize and maintain our front-end UI library and improve how easy that library is to use.
- Participate in product and design discussions with the team.
- Develop and implement accessibility standards.
- Ability to learn quickly, function with limited supervision, solve issues, and stay in close communication with functional teams.
- Curiosity and excitement about technology and continuous learning and development.
- Eagerness to learn, mentor, expand your skills, and try new tools.
- Communicates and partners effectively across functions; works well with whatever function necessary.
- Critical Thinking - ability to take high-level requirements, highlight gaps, trade-offs, and risks, and come up with tactical solutions.
- Capable to communicate skills to junior skills and eager to help other Candid staff gain these skills.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or any other relevant field.
- 8+ years of working experience in front-end development.
- Expert knowledge of ReactJS ecosystem and ES6/ES7.
- Ability to design and build enterprise applications using ReactJS
- Experience with popular ReactJS workflows (such as Flux or Redux)
- Experience creating unit test with Jest or React Testing Library.
- Proven hands-on Software Development experience.
- Passion for beautifully structured code, polished UX interactions, and collaborative work.
- Solid knowledge of Object-Oriented Analysis and Design.
- Significant experience with CSS pre-processing platforms such as LESS and SASS.
- Significant experience with HTML5, CSS3, with an eye toward responsive design and web accessibility practices.
- Working knowledge of back-end systems and the integration of APIs in customer facing applications.
- Experience with the material design.
- Experience with Git for source control.
- Familiarity with consuming RESTful APIs.
- Knowledge of modern front-end software architecture best practices.
- Understanding of Agile programming techniques, the development life cycle and testing procedures.
- A portfolio of front-end web work.
- A high-level performer with strong relationships and the ability to lead projects and promotes our values.
- Willingness to perform other duties and special projects as needed/requested.
- Sensitivity and respect for racial, gender, sexual orientation, and cultural differences.
- Champions and represents Candid’s core values: We are driven, direct, accessible, curious, and inclusive.
See the world. Make it better.
Every year, millions of nonprofits spend trillions of dollars around the world. Candid finds out where that money comes from, where it goes, and why it matters. Through research, collaboration, and training, we connect people who want to change the world to the resources they need to do it. Our data tools on nonprofits, foundations, and grants are the most comprehensive in the world.
Candid’s vision is an ambitious one. But we know that when we make investments in our
talent, it translates to more access and better knowledge for those working for social good around the world.
On February 1, 2019, Foundation Center and GuideStar joined forces to become Candid,
a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization.
How to apply
Please email your resume and cover letter to [email protected]. Please add "Lead Front-End Engineer - Tech Jobs for Good" as the subject line. Your application will only be considered if all instructions above are met.
We offer a competitive salary and excellent benefits. Due to the high volume of applicants we typically receive, we regret that we can only contact candidates that we would like to interview.
For more information on positions available at Candid, please visit our website: https://candid.org/about/work-at-candid
Candid is a qualifying nonprofit organization as defined by the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program. As such, Candid employees may claim their employment time on their PSLF application.
Candid is an EO/AA/VET/DISABLED Employer.
We are committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion and especially encourage members of underrepresented communities to apply.