Technical Career Coach
College of Staten Island · New York, NY
The CUNY University of New York seeks a Technical Career Coach for the Tech Talent Pipeline (TTP) Residency program. We are looking for an individual who values diversity, equity, and inclusion, is driven to inspire and motivate first generation computer science students to grow and develop professionally to the point where they can transition from school to their first job in software engineering related roles. The focus of the role is to provide support to TTP Residents and alumni (a minimum of 25 students per internship class cohort, but cumulative over several cohorts). This a full-time hybrid position, with the person being onsite 70% of the time.
About the TTP Residency @ the College of Staten Island
The TTP Residency Program at the College of Staten Island is a multi-semester program designed to deliver qualified tech talent to local employers and professional tech internship opportunities to competitive NYC undergraduates. Students will receive web development and technical interviewing training, professional development workshops, 1:1 coaching, a paid summer internship, and ongoing job search support after their internship. Additionally, the TTP Residency program gathers valuable feedback from host businesses to better align tech education with the workforce needs of NYC employers.
Since 2020, [email protected] has placed more than 85 students in paid summer internships. Program participants have landed full-time software engineering-related roles at Amex, Amazon, Microsoft, Foursquare, Citibank, Disney, Loews, and Meta.
Reporting to the Program Manager, and working collaboratively with the Business Development Manager the Technical Career Coach essential functions are:
Career Coach Responsibilities
- Provide 1:1 and group activities designed to
- 1) help students identify career goals and necessary career milestones
- 2) strategize ways to overcome barriers to students’ persistence and career success
- 3) prepare students to apply, interview and secure tech internships and/or full-time positions
- Build and manage employer relationships to connect students to employment and support students career/professional development
- Assess and track students’ professional skills, technical skills and job readiness
- Develop and deliver professional and soft skills workshops
- Collect and analyze data to propose improvements for technical training, professional development, and career services.
Student Success Responsibilities
- Recruit students to participate in TTPR and assist them with the application process
- Plan opportunities for participants to network and to showcase their technical projects
- Drive all student engagement activities across the current and the previous cohorts. This also includes all student-focused communications such as newsletters, job postings, program updates via email and other activities;
- Raise awareness among the broader CSI student population about TTP Residency
- Work collaboratively with NYC TTP, the college offices, career services, and computer science department faculty/staff, ensure students success throughout the program
- Work with Program Manager to support full-stack development training
- Bachelor’s degree related to human resources, psychology, or computer science
- 3-5 Years’ experience working in or adjacent to the tech sector, tech education,or tech workforce development and understand tech careers, companies, and hiring practices
- Experience working in a college institution in a student facing role
- Coaching / Management experience
- Experience dealing with undergraduate students and recent alumni
- High attention to details
- Excellent verbal & written communication skills
- Excellent organizational, problem-solving, leadership, and interpersonal skills.
- Collaborative; excellent team player that exhibits enthusiasm
- Has the ability to manage changing priorities while meeting deadlines.
- Proactivity: Able to work independently and be a self-starter who takes initiative
Productivity Software Requirements:
- Experience with or willingness to learn Blackboard, HandShake, and HackerRank
- Experience using Social Media (ie. LinkedIn)
- Working knowledge of GitHub, Slack, Discord, Microsoft Forms, Microsoft Excel