National MS Society · Denver, CO/Remote (USA)
Are you ready to build a rewarding career making a real impact, changing the world for people living with MS?
To realize our vision we need innovative, collaborative individuals who are motivated and will work with urgency and relentless resolve so people with MS can live their best lives.
Our Technology team is a group of dynamic individuals who partner with others to provide technology support and expertise to reshape the way work is done. In everything we do, we consider new approaches and use technology to increase effectiveness.
Does this sound like you? If so, act now. Do life changing work.
- Data Architect will provide architectural leadership and technical vision for our
Enterprise Data Platform by designing and architecting components across the Modern Data Platform spectrum from Data Collection to Advance Analytics & Data Visualization
- Data Architect will contribute to a strategic vision to enable a modular, reliable, robust, and scalable data platform that supports data-driven decision making and analytic capabilities
- Data Architect will ensure new features and subject areas are modeled to integrate with existing structures and provide a consistent view. Data Architect will develop and maintain documentation of the data architecture, data flow and data models of the data platform appropriate for various audiences.
- Data Architect will provide direction on adoption of Cloud technologies (such as Snowflake) and industry best practices in the field of modern data platform architecture and modeling, providing technical leadership to large enterprise scale initiatives.
Data Architecture (80%)
- Defining the future data architecture and operating model based on modern thinking including data mesh, lake house, domain driven architecture and using UX techniques to uncover high value user journeys
- Develop a deep understanding of the business domain and enterprise technology inventory to craft a solution roadmap that achieves business enablement, maximizes reuse, and protects the ecosystem
- Contribute to designing multi-phased cloud data strategies, including crafting multi-phased implementation roadmaps
- Architect solutions for Performance, Availability, Reliability, Security & Cost
- Develop a comprehensive data architecture capable of supporting various data types (structured, semi-structured, unstructured) and analytics needs from reporting to machine learning
- Provide a standard common business vocabulary, express strategic requirements, outline high-level integrated design to meet those requirements, and align with enterprise strategy and related business architecture
- Collaborate with business, product, and technology teams early in product lifecycle to influence end-to-end architecture, including functional and non-functional aspects with a keen eye for
data quality, data integrity and data availability
- Create strategies for data transformations and analysis for clinical, image, device, wearable, and demographic data
- Evaluate and implement a variety of data tools (Python, SQL, NoSQL, Talend, Snowflake/Synapse) on Azure to build ETLs/ELTs and data models
- Drive proofs-of-concept initiatives, rapid prototyping with the intent of validating hypotheses.
- Research and evaluate the best-of-breed technologies to inform data architecture decisions, build-vs-buy, and cost/benefit analysis
- Drive platform automation to promote continuous integration/continuous delivery, test-driven development, and streamlined production deployment frameworks
- Drive collaborative reviews of design, code, data, features implementation to drive engineering excellence around total cost of ownership, data quality & process maintainability
- Collaborate to design, implement, & assess solutions & procedures to be compliant with data governance policies and standards
Training, Knowledge Sharing & Documentation (15%)
- Write clear, detailed, concise documentation—architecture diagrams, reference architecture, data flows, data models, design, and implementation plan
- Share insights and best practices with Engineering team, provide technical mentorship to the Engineering team
- Able to clearly articulate breadth of topics such as Cloud Data Warehouses, Data Lake technologies, ETL, Data modeling, Machine Learning & DevOps
- Enable internal Society key technology team who drive long-term cloud-based data platform adoption within Society to be advocates
Market and Volunteer Engagement (5%)
- Support local market/office, including but not limited to attending market/office meetings
- Actively participate in local market/office events as a participant or volunteer
Minimum Education Required:
- Bachelor's Degree (10 plus years of industry experience with minimum bachelor’s degree in computer science or equivalent)
Preferred related field for degree:
- Computer Science, Business Administration, Finance
Professional License/Certification Required:
- Project Management Professional (PMP) Certification
- SnowPro Core Certification
- SnowPro Advanced: Architect Certification (preferred)
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or equivalent work experience. Advance degree a plus
- 10+ years’ experience with large-scale, distributed data pipelines, as well as data management, storage, and modeling techniques (Kimball, 3NF, Star Schema, Dimension modeling, Data Marts, Operational Data Stores, Data Vault 2.0 a plus). Minimum 2 years of working experience as a Data Architect on Data Analytics projects using Snowflake and Azure (preferred), AWS or GCP
- Need strong knowledge on Snowflake architecture, and Cloud must have worked on live projects using Snowflake
- Expertise in Snowflake advanced concepts like setting up resource monitors, RBAC controls, virtual warehouse sizing, query performance tuning, zero copy clone, time travel, and understand how to use these features
- Expertise in deploying Snowflake features such as data sharing, events, and lake-house patterns
- Hands-on experience with Snowflake utilities, SnowSQL, SnowPipe, Big Data model techniques using Python
- Experience in Data Migration from RDBMS to cloud data warehouse preferably Snowflake
- Proven understanding of data governance, data quality, reusable frameworks, and decision support systems design principles
- Proven ability to inspire confidence, create executive presentations and guide strategic discussions with senior management. Ability to operate in a multifaceted and fast-paced environment, building strategy while executing tactics, including hands-on contributions
- Proven track record of collaboration with technology leaders and business partners to drive impact
- In-depth, hands-on experience using structured and unstructured data as well as key data technologies, including Azure, Snowflake, Talend, Airflow, Kafka, Spark, etc.
- Background in all aspects of software engineering with strong skills in parallel data processing, data flows, REST APIs, JSON, XML, and micro service architecture
- Proficiency in tools / languages such Python, JAVA, Scala, SQL (T-SQL, PL/SQL, Spark SQL), Talend Data Integration/MDM/Catalog
- Experience with data security and data access controls and design
- Experience working in a scrum/agile environment, associated tools (Jira), and code management/versioning (e.g., git)
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to prioritize multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment
- Being comfortable with a big vision, lots of ambiguity and shifting priorities
- As described in Section C
- Huge Plus if hands-on experience in building Data Mesh.
- Strong critical thinking skills matched with the ability to articulate solutions to other team members.
Estimated hiring compensation range for this role is $110,000 - $130,000 based on an average compensation schedule. Final offers will be based on candidate geographic location and consider career experience and may vary from this range due to these and other factors.
A few more reasons you should apply:
You will have the opportunity for a highly competitive, comprehensive benefit package that the Society provides to employees. Your benefits include a considerable Paid Time Off Plan; Paid Holidays; 401k Retirement Savings Plan with Society match; Educational Reimbursement Plan; Professional Development Assistance; Commuter Benefit Plan; Comprehensive Health & Welfare benefits including Medical, Dental, Vision, Flex Spending Accounts, Life Insurance, Disability Coverage, Life Assistance Plan as well as additional voluntary benefit offerings. We value continuous learning and support your professional development through a Professional Development Assistance plan. You will join an incredible mission focused team of people!
EOE / M / F / D / V
The National MS Society is committed to building a diverse and inclusive workforce. We strive to create a workforce that reflects the communities we serve and where everyone feels empowered to bring their authentic selves to work. We need you and your unique talents and perspectives to help us write the last chapter on MS.