Switchboard · Washington, DC
During the 2022 election cycle, Switchboard launched an automated messaging platform that strengthened Democratic digital fundraising and organizing programs. In our first 18 months, we worked with over 900 campaigns from school board to U.S. Senate races and sent more than half a billion messages. Now, we have ambitious goals to deliver an integrated suite of tools for the 2023-2024 cycle, bringing together a never-before-seen level of coordination across outreach channels, powerful analytics, and an easy-to-use platform.
As Switchboard’s first Product Designer, you’ll play a foundational role in shaping new products at Switchboard, contributing to both what we build and how we build it. We’re looking for a designer who has experience working on web-first products and is comfortable contributing at all levels, from high-level product experiences to low-level UI tweaks and everything in between. You’ll be responsible for designing and shipping core aspects of the product while feeling a strong sense of ownership throughout the process, partnering with people from across the organization.
As a designer, you’ll be faced with challenges that vary with both the breadth of our products and customers, answering questions such as:
- How do we deliver a coherent experience across a range of very different tools?
- How do we deliver products that serve campaigns of any size (whether they’re a large, complex organization or a small 1-2 person team running a local race)?
- How do we support use-cases that range from fundraising to organizing to voter contact?
In addition, you will be focused on keeping the product intuitive and easy to use for both experienced practitioners in the space and new volunteers using Switchboard for the first time to help a race. Experience working on or for political campaigns is not required, but being able to quickly build empathy and seeing Switchboard through the eyes of our users is a must.
Candidates should be ready to provide a portfolio or show examples of their work that demonstrate their design capabilities.
- Leading the design of core product experiences, from the initial planning stages to wireframing to prototyping to UI implementation.
- Translating business strategy into product design and ensuring we are solving the right problems in a coherent and scalable way across our range of tools.
- Identifying user needs, figuring out how to effectively test ideas, and refining designs taking into account internal data and external feedback and user research.
- Collaborating with user-facing teams, Engineering, Product, and Switchboard leadership to gather user feedback, prioritize work, and launch new features and enhancements.
- Partnering with engineers to support the implementation of designs, acting as an advocate for the variety of users we have while also understanding technical constraints and helping us make pragmatic tradeoffs on your designs.
- Contributing to a positive and collaborative team culture, while setting the tone for how the design team can help us build the best products to further our mission.
- 3+ years experience as a product designer, ideally with hands-on experience doing UX/UI for web apps with a non-technical user base.
- Willing to launch imperfect products, knowing that we will continue to iterate and improve as we go.
- Able to juggle multiple projects at once, clearly communicating competing priorities and trade offs especially when there isn’t time to do it all.
- Comfortable taking on projects in new areas for them, learning quickly to develop expertise and execute on those projects, often needing to make decisions without perfect information.
- $145k-$205k annual salary and an equity grant depending on experience
- Switchboard covers 100% of health, dental, and vision coverage for employees and 75% for dependents
- 21 days of paid time off plus federal holidays
- Unlimited sick leave
- 12 weeks paid parental leave for parents of any gender, including adoptive parents
- 401(K) match with immediate vesting
We believe the best products and companies are built by diverse teams where everyone’s perspectives are heard and respected. We strongly encourage people of color, LGBTQ+, women, and members of other underrepresented groups to apply. Even if you’re not sure if the role is a good fit, please apply!
We are committed to providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities in the hiring process and on the job.