Switchboard · Washington, DC
During the 2022 election cycle, Switchboard launched an automated messaging platform that strengthened Democratic digital fundraising and organizing programs. In our first 18 months, we worked with over 900 campaigns from school board to U.S. Senate races and sent more than half a billion messages. Now, we have ambitious goals to deliver an integrated suite of tools for the 2023-2024 cycle, bringing together a never-before-seen level of coordination across outreach channels, powerful analytics, and an easy-to-use platform.
As a Data Engineer at Switchboard, you will be responsible for building the core infrastructure that supports all of the data systems we use to drive insights for our customers and our own product development. Using data in a smarter way in our product has the potential to meaningfully improve the quality and efficiency of programs our customers run through Switchboard. This is only possible if we have stable and flexible infrastructure that can scale as our usage grows and adapt to the variety of tools our products cover.
This role includes setting up our first data warehouse, architecting how data can effectively flow between us, our customers, and other partners, and partnering closely with other engineers and data scientists to ensure our systems can enable the types of product improvements and insights we want to provide. As a member of a small team, you’ll take on significant ownership over technical decisions that set the course for how Switchboard manages our data infrastructure for the long term. Experience working with campaign data is a plus but not required.
- Architecting and setting up our first data warehouse, to support internal analytics and integrations with outside partners.
- Designing and building data pipelines to capture data from a variety of internal and external sources in a scalable and flexible way.
- Partnering with other engineers and data scientists across the team to build tools to be able to translate data we have into actionable insights that can be available in the product for our users and internally to aid in product development.
- Building processes and systems to ensure high levels of data integrity and security as we grow.
- Helping establish and contributing to a positive engineering culture, with best practices around testing, code quality, security, and automation to help reduce errors and maintenance costs.
- 3+ years experience building and maintaining large-scale data systems, ideally on cloud platforms like AWS or GCP, or with popular data warehouses like Snowflake, BigQuery, Redshift, etc.
- Knowledge of Python, or the ability to learn it quickly.
- Act autonomously in areas with a lot of ambiguity and work cross-functionally to identify requirements, create plans, and execute on projects.
- Bring a security-first mindset to how we store and use our data.
- Communicate effectively within teams and with outside partners, across technical and non-technical stakeholders.
- Comfortable taking on projects in new areas for them, learning quickly to develop the expertise and execute on those projects.
- $140-$205k annual salary and an equity grant depending on experience
- Switchboard covers 100% of health, dental, and vision coverage for employees and 75% for dependents
- 21 days of paid time off plus federal holidays
- Unlimited sick leave
- 12 weeks paid parental leave for parents of any gender, including adoptive parents
- 401(K) match with immediate vesting
We believe the best products and companies are built by diverse teams where everyone’s perspectives are heard and respected. We strongly encourage people of color, LGBTQ+, women, and members of other underrepresented groups to apply. Even if you’re not sure if the role is a good fit, please apply!
We are committed to providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities in the hiring process and on the job.