Director of Data & Technology
Voter Formation Project · Remote (US)
Public Service & Civic Engagement
$150,000 - $175,000 Per YearPosted 2 weeks ago
Voter Formation Project (VFP) is a 501(c)3 organization committed to increasing participation in elections using innovative, long-term, and data-driven digital communications strategies to engage, register, and mobilize new and infrequent voters of color.
Reports to: Chief Executive Officer
Supervises: Data Engineer, Full-Stack Developer, Associate Product Manager, and Data Analyst (when hired); also manages relationships with vendors and contractors
VFP is seeking a Director of Data & Technology to lead our Technology Department. Currently, the Department contains a Data Engineer, Full-Stack Developer, and Associate Product Manager, with the intention to hire a Data Analyst in the coming months. The Director of Data & Technology will play a key role in expanding and developing their team, defining roles as the organization grows, and building a positive and inclusive culture. The Director of Data & Technology’s team will own Formation, VFP’s voter registration portal, and the data function.
The Director of Data & Technology reports to the CEO and will work closely with their colleagues in People & Culture, Programs, and Development to build a strong leadership foundation within the Voter Formation Project.
As the Director of Data & Technology you will:
- Develop technical and analytical vision and strategy to ensure the development of long-term capacity within VFP’s data and technology function.
- Communicate technical vision and plan to non-technical stakeholders both inside and outside VFP.
- Collaborate with team members to develop processes, procedures, and policies that support the data and technology function.
- Contribute to planning, standards, and decision-making at all levels of the data and technology function.
- Make critical strategic decisions regarding VFP’s technological portfolio (for example, when to build and resource an internal team, when to invest additional time, when to outsource, etc.).
- Conduct research on the voter registration and mobilization landscape, industry trends, and emerging technologies.
- Develop a deep understanding of our product and work with the Associate Product Manager to ensure that our products are able to meet both internal and external needs, providing functionality to users and necessary data for internal tracking and review to inform program strategy.
- Develop an understanding of our codebase and tech stack.
- Recruit and retain talent in the Technology Department, with the support of the Director of People & Culture, with a commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Lead, motivate, and supervise the Data & Technology team.
- Provide tailored growth and development for your direct reports, contributing positively to VFP’s culture and helping us to live our values in the ways that we operate internally.
- Build a Technology Department that is deeply linked to the other functions of the organization, ensuring that information is not siloed.
- Serve as the budget manager for the Technology Department, assisting in the development of the annual budget and participating in regular expense approval and tracking processes throughout the year
- Previous experience leading a department or function, with a love for people management and employee growth and development.
- 8+ years of related experience in technical roles, such as data science, product management, software engineering, or related areas.
- Ability to craft and execute technology strategy.
- Previous experience in the electoral space, with an understanding of challenges and opportunities in data and technology is preferred, but not required.
- Flexible and adaptable to changing needs with the ability to set priorities and adhere to timelines.
- Experience in developing and managing relationships with multiple vendors.
- Creative problem-solver with consensus-building abilities.
- Interest in continuous improvement and professional development, including staying up-to-date on industry best practices.
- Strong project manager, with the ability to manage multiple projects at once.
- Energized to work in a start-up organization.
- Enthusiasm for Voter Formation Project’s mission and vision.
Compensation and benefits
Starting salary for the Director of Data & Technology is either $150,000 or $175,000 per year, depending on experience. Candidates entering with at least three years of executive level leadership experience will be considered for the $175,000 level.
The Voter Formation Project does not negotiate starting salaries. All Voter Formation Project employees are formally reviewed twice annually, in December and June, for performance and compensation adjustments. New employees who are onboarded more than four months in advance of the next compensation review will receive off-cycle compensation review to ensure equitable alignment within their compensation band.
The Voter Formation Project offers a generous benefits package, which includes:
- Unlimited paid vacation (all benefits-eligible employees are required to take three weeks of vacation per year).
- Parental leave and various other paid leave types.
- Fully paid medical, dental, and vision insurance.
- Co-working or home office reimbursement.
While the Voter Formation Project is an organization that works in political cycles, we whole-heartedly reject campaign culture and are focused on developing new, healthy norms for campaign work—even in-cycle.