Full Stack Web Developer
CommunityShare · Remote (US)
As a fast-growing, but still small, nonprofit venture CommunityShare is re-imagining the relationship between communities and schools. Through our online platform and offline programs we ignite civic engagement and real-world learning experiences by connecting the wisdom, skills and lived experiences of community partners with educators and students.
- Title: Full Stack Web Developer Location:
- Remote Job Type: Contract basis; .75 - 1 FTE with Flexible hours
- Start Date: As soon as can be negotiated
What we are looking for…
A team player who is a creative problem-solver with exceptional back-end & front-end web development skills. This individual will work closely with CommunityShare’s CTO and Product Manager. This is an exciting time to join our team as we expand our work nationally. We are looking for an individual who is mission-driven and excited to apply their skills to reimagining education and creating a more equitable world.
- At least 3 years of hands-on experience in back-end and front-end development
- Experience building tools and scaling platforms for a growing customer base
- Extraordinary attention to detail and ability to understand business requirements
- Excellent written, verbal, and visual communication skills.
- Proactive person who can work independently and co-create in a team environment
- Excellent interpersonal skills; someone who sees the best in others
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Enjoys working in a fluid, dynamic start-up environment
- Develop tools according to specifications defined by the product team with scalability as a key priority
- Prototype concepts quickly and iteratively to “build the plane while flying it”
- Translate designs and wireframes into high quality code
- Optimize code so that it looks and behaves correctly across a vast array of web-capable devices and browsers
- Ensure quality of codebase by writing tests and doing code reviews
- Participate in agile development of project timelines, documentation, testing and ongoing support of systems
- Contribute to discussions that transform business requirements into technical requirements (and what those solutions will look like)
- Strong proficiency with React.js, including experience building a non-trivial application that uses a one-way dataflow architecture (e.g. Flux, Redux)
- Strong proficiency with CSS, as well as the ability to accurately reproduce a static design mockup in HTML
- Solid understanding of RESTful APIs and experience building an application that uses at least 6 different types resources (preferably at least 10)
- Strong proficiency with Node.js, including experience building an API server
- Proficiency with relational databases (e.g. PostgreSQL)
- Comfort using Git and GitHub for version control and collaboration Bonus if you have experience with...
- Building user interfaces using Tailwind CSS
- Building a component library using Storybook.js
- Deploying front-end code to Vercel
- Deploying back-end code to Heroku
- Benchmarking and optimization of front-end code
- Experience building and releasing a product with multiple users and stakeholders, as well as evolving it overtime based on user feedback
- Familiarity with a convention-driven approach to building an API server (such as Rails, Django, or Sails.js)
- Product experience with two-sided marketplaces (e.g. match-making, buyers-sellers, etc)
- Product experience with user-to-user messaging and real-time communication (websockets)
- Experience building transactional email templates and sending them via a third-party service (e.g. Sendgrid, Mailgun)
- Experience using a job scheduling library (e.g. Agenda)
- Experience working in education and/or with edtech products
- Experience participating in UX research
- Experience with a design tool like Figma/Sketch
Submit cover letter, CV and minimum of three professional references via email to [email protected], include "Application for Full Stack Web Developer - Tech Jobs for Good" in the subject line.
Commitment to Diversity
At CommunityShare we are committed to diversity, equity and inclusion. We strive to create and inspire better ways to give every student an educational foundation for lifelong success. In order to fully realize this mission we are dedicated to building a diverse pool of candidates including those from underrepresented backgrounds and build an inclusive culture that supports and celebrates the diverse voices and perspectives of our employees.
Description of CommunityShare:
CommunityShare believes that our communities are only as strong as the relationships we weave. Relationships between caring adults and young people centered around real-world learning experiences nurture resilient, thriving youth and communities. In order to realize this vision, CommunityShare developed an online platform that matches educators in schools and out-of-school settings with community partners who serve as mentors, project collaborators, guest speakers, internship hosts, and more. Through both virtual and in-person learning experiences with community partners, students become more engaged in school and their community because of the real-world relevance, discover new career possibilities and expand their access to caring adults. The 3-minute video on our home page and this Christian Science Monitor article offer additional context. CommunityShare was recognized in 2018, 2019 and 2020 as one of the top 100 global education innovations at the HundrED summit in Helsinki.