Senior Data Engineer
Planet · Remote (USA)
Welcome to Planet. We believe in using space to help life on Earth.
Planet designs, builds, and operates the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history. This constellation delivers an unprecedented dataset of empirical information via a revolutionary cloud-based platform to authoritative figures in commercial, environmental, and humanitarian sectors. We are both a space company and data company all rolled into one.
Customers and users across the globe use Planet's data to develop new technologies, drive revenue, power research, and solve our world’s toughest obstacles.
As we control every component of hardware design, manufacturing, data processing, and software engineering, our office is a truly inspiring mix of experts from a variety of domains.
We have a people-centric approach toward culture and community and we strive to iterate in a way that puts our team members first and prepares our company for growth. Join Planet and be a part of our mission to change the way people see the world.
Planet is a global company with employees working remotely world wide and joining us from offices in San Francisco, Washington DC, Germany, and The Netherlands.
About the Role:
You will be instrumental in designing and delivering Data Warehouses, Data Lake, Self-Service Tooling, Real-time Streaming and Big Data Solutions for multiple functional areas using modern cloud technologies. You will have the chance to combine a deep knowledge of business and technical mastery to own and deliver the right solution for the right business problem. Most importantly, you will have the opportunity to move fast, adapt quickly, and leave a lasting mark through the new solutions you deliver!
Impact You’ll Own:
- Architect and implement robust, well-tested services. Provide technical design and code reviews for peers within your team and across the broader org
- Collaborate with stakeholders and other engineering leaders to define and develop the data architecture roadmap.
- Act as a subject matter expert to leadership for technical guidance around solution design and best practices
- Be a technical mentor to junior engineers and expose the team to new opportunities, while still being able to dependably deliver on ongoing goals
- Keep current on big data and data visualization technology trends, evaluate, work on proof-of-concepts and make merit-based recommendations on technologies
What You Bring:
- An expert at SQL-based ETL development, and experience with Python, Java, or equivalent scripting language. Experience with DBT is a plus
- Experience with public cloud reference architectures and services, such as Google Cloud Platform (preferred) or AWS
- Comfortable designing and implementing data warehousing pipelines and architecture
- Experience with streaming technologies, messaging frameworks (RabbitMQ, Pub/Sub, Kafka), and Hadoop preferred
- Experience architecting data solutions utilizing Bl tools like Looker, Tableau, AtScale or similar
- Excellent communication and presentation skills and ability to work cross functionally through collaboration with engineering and business partners
- Superior organizational and analytical skills with hypothesis-driven problem solving and turning data into actionable insights
- 2-3 years of Data Architecture experience working in partnership with large data sets (5+ TB)
Benefits While Working at Planet:
- Comprehensive Health Plan
- Wellness program and onsite massages in specific offices
- Flexible Time Off
- Recognition Programs
- Commuter Benefits
- Learning and Tuition Reimbursement
- Parental Leave
- Offsites and Happy Hours
- Volunteering Benefits
The US base salary range for this full-time position at the commencement of employment is $123,600 - $203,300. Additionally, this role might be eligible for discretionary short-term and long-term incentives (bonus and equity). The final salary range is determined by job related experience, skills and location. The range displays our typical hiring range for new hire salaries in US locations only. Your recruiter can share more about the specific salary range for your preferred location during the hiring process.
Why we care so much about Belonging.
We’re dedicated to helping the whole Planet, and to do that we must strive to represent all of it within each of our offices and on all of our teams. That’s why Planet is guided by an ultimate north star of Belonging, dreaming big as we approach our ongoing work with diversity, equity and inclusion. If this job intrigues you, but you’re thinking you might not have all the qualifications, please... do apply! At Planet, we are looking for well-rounded people from around the world who can contribute to more ways than just what is listed in this job description. We don’t just fill positions, we aspire to fulfill people’s careers, most excited about folks who are motivated by our underlying humanitarian efforts. We are a few orbits around the sun before we get to where we want to be, so we hope you’re excited to come along for the ride.
Planet is committed to building a community where everyone belongs and we invite people from all backgrounds to apply. Planet is an equal opportunity employer, and committed to providing employment opportunities regardless of race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, childbirth and breastfeeding, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected classification, in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws.
Planet is an inclusive community and we know that everyone has their own needs. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation during the interview process, please call Planet's front office at 669-214-9404 or contact your recruiter with your request. Your message will be confidential and we will be happy to assist you.