World Resources Institute · Washington, DCData + Analytics Environment Posted 2 weeks ago Claim this company
In this role, you will support the Financial Planning and Analysis (FP&A) team and be responsible for maintaining the budgeting system and assuring data is updated and accurate, as well as maintaining the accounting and financial reports through WRI’s web-based solution and create new reports for users. You will be involved in updating and monitoring indirect costs and monitoring overall organizational (WRI and the WRI international offices) finances and developing financial dashboards. You will also assist with financial analytics needs for the FP&A team. The role is intended to support both the WRI Global office in Washington, DC as well as the subsidiary and independent international offices. This role reports to the Senior Finance Manager.
Financial Planning, Analysis, and systems (80%)
- Monitor overall financial health of the organization, working with all departments and programs to assure the information in the financial systems is as accurate as possible. This includes monthly budget variance analyses and developing forecasting scenarios using IBM Cognos TM1 and reporting, and Power BI
- Proactively identify and correct report errors, budget corrections, inform the appropriate stakeholders on foreseen risk concerns
- Update and monitor the indirect costs and indirect/support cost recovery for the entire organization
- Develop and deliver training for users on financial and operational systems and processes
- Contribute to centralized proposal budget review and standardization
- Assist the Chief Financial and Operations Officer (CFOO) office and FP&A team in various analyses and scenarios related to financial and operational needs
- Support the FP&A team in the annual and quarterly financial reviews with programs, departments, and international offices that are coordinated by the FP&A team, analyzing and documenting minutes, follow up, and trends
- Support the Global Finance Director and the CFOO in various ad hoc reporting and presentations using PowerPoint, Power BI (or other data visualization tools), Excel, and Word
- Develop dashboards with Power BI and reports in Cognos intended to measure business performance metrics and help users to develop their own financial dashboards
- Monitor and assure financial reports are up to date; Work with users to develop new reports; Standardize reports, both in template and formatting. You will use the IBM Cognos BI web-based solution for professional reports as well as research other tools in the IBM Cognos BI suite to improve financial performance tracking and monitoring
Special Projects and Process Improvement (20%)
- Working with Special Projects Team, Identify process gaps and operational issues by working closely with teams and core functions and find and implement solutions that incorporate WRI’s ongoing growth
- Work closely with FP&A team on efforts to implement project management standards across the institute
- Assist in implementation of risk framework at WRI
- Three to five years of full-time work experience in finance and project planning
- Master’s degree, or a bachelor's degree with at least five years of relevant work experience
- Experience with IBM Cognos BI suite TM1 budgeting and planning and Cognos Professional Reporting required
- Experience with creating and managing budgets
- Experience in analysis of financial data: accounting, budgeting, and planning
- Experience with cost budgeting and financial reporting systems management preferred
- Experience writing financial reports with accounting data
- Familiarity with visual analytic dashboards (Power BI, Tableau)
- Experience in Microsoft Office suite of tools, especially PowerPoint and in advanced Excel
- Excellent mathematical skills and analytically-minded
- Strong customer service, communication, and interpersonal skills, both written and verbal
- Experience training others at multiple personnel levels
- Detail-oriented and organized thinker who can juggle multiple, competing priorities
- Creative, outside-the-box thinker
- US work authorization is required for all WRI US opportunities. WRI cannot offer visa sponsorship for this opportunity.
How to Apply
Applicants must apply through the WRI Careers portal to be considered.
World Resources Institute (WRI) is an independent, nonprofit global research organization that turns big ideas into action at the nexus of environment, economic opportunity and human well-being. We are working to address seven critical challenges that the world must overcome this decade in order to secure a sustainable future for people and the planet: climate change, energy, food, forests, water, sustainable cities, and the ocean.
We are passionate. We value our diversity of interests, skills and backgrounds. We have a flexible work environment. And we share a common goal to catalyze change that will improve the lives of people. Our shared ideals are at the core of our approach. They include: integrity, innovation, urgency, independence and respect.
The foundation of our work is delivering high-quality research, data, maps and analysis to solve the world’s greatest environment and international development challenges, and improve people’s lives. We work with leaders in government, business and civil society to drive ambitious action and create change on the ground. Equally important, we bring together partners to develop breakthrough ideas and scale-up solutions for far-reaching, enduring impact.
We have been growing rapidly: our staff has doubled in size over the past 5 years and our operating budget is now $120 million. Founded in 1982, WRI has a global staff of 900+ people with work spanning 60 countries. We have offices in Africa, Brazil, China, Europe, India, Indonesia, Mexico and the United States as well as a growing presence in other countries and regions.
WRI is committed to advancing gender and social equity for human well-being in our mission and applies this principle to our organizational and programmatic practices.
The World Resources Institute (http://www.wri.org) is an environmental and development research and policy organization that creates solutions to protect the Earth and improve people’s lives. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, it is WRI’s policy to recruit, hire, and provide opportunities for advancement in all job classifications without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, citizenship, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, parental status, protected veteran status, or disability. WRI’s global agenda requires a staff that is diverse – with respect to race, gender, cultural, and international background. Diverse perspectives and experience enhance the way WRI selects and approaches issues, as well as the creativity and applicability of WRI's policy research and analysis. WRI, therefore, encourages applications from U.S. minorities, persons from other countries (especially developing nations), and from women of all backgrounds.