Senior Product Designer
Rewiring America · Remote (USA)
Rewiring America is the leading electrification nonprofit, focused on electrifying everything in our communities. We're all in on electrifying where we live, work, learn, and play. Supported by a world-class research team developing accessible, actionable data, and tools for Americans across the country, Rewiring America is crafting the blueprint for Americans to achieve energy efficiency, tackle nationwide emission goals, improve health, save consumers money, and build the next generation of the American workforce in clean energy.
Rewiring America is growing rapidly. With a clear and inspiring vision, brand recognition, and significant and sustained financial support, we are building a diverse and dynamic team to build software products that accelerate our electrification mission. We are seeking an entrepreneurial product designer to join our small but growing product, design, and engineering team. This position reports to the Head of Product.
What You'll Do
As a founding member of our engineering, product, and design team, you will be responsible for designing delightful new products that help our users navigate and accelerate their electrification journey. You will take these products from early user discovery through to execution and iteration, basing your design decisions on user insights and behavioral principles. In addition to building net new products, you will also be responsible for improving the usability of a wide range of existing products and resources, including the website and our existing tools, reports, emails, and other experiences.
- Conduct user discovery and research, synthesize your learnings and codify them into key insights, personas, and journeys to build on
- Collaborate and consult with Product, Engineering, Policy, Marketing, Research, and Data Science teams from the earliest stage of project explorations
- Develop early-stage concepts and prototypes for internal and external testing
- Produce high fidelity designs with an attention to detail and pair closely with Engineering and Product to get them built
- Build and refine a scalable design system
- Shape the vision, roadmap, and goals for the team by centering the user and illustrating what is possible
- Facilitate design-thinking exercises, workshops, and sprints with your team and the broader organization
You are an experienced product/UX designer who has research and visual design skills that allow you to flex to the needs of a fast-moving team.. You value autonomy and are comfortable with ambiguity. You are a skilled communicator and always bring conversations back to the needs of the customer. You have the range to move from high level concepts to detailed mocks to pairing with engineers and you can manage those transitions with ease. You have a bias for action and when a conversation gets stuck, you have an ability to simplify things and bring them back to visual concepts that help the team move forward. You are regarded as a great team member, who demonstrates empathy, humility, and a learner’s mindset.
- Commitment to the mission, policies, and goals of Rewiring America
- 5+ years of software product design experience
- Ability to quickly produce wireframes, high fidelity designs, and user flows in Figma (or equivalent), including thinking through complex edge cases
- Experience designing products both for end consumers and enterprise users
- Experience conducting user research/discovery and familiarity with best practices
- Facility with more open-ended design exercises, such as workshops or sprints
- Experience working with and contributing to design systems
- You love taking complex ideas and making them easy to understand
- Demonstrated positive impact on the overall health and productivity of a software development team
Nice to Have:
- Experience mentoring designers or leading design practices
- Content knowledge in climate, energy, and/or building electrification.
Note: Candidates who meet some but not all of the above criteria are still strongly encouraged to apply. Your skills and experience may present us with new opportunities we have not yet considered.
The salary range for this position is $135,000-$170,000 commensurate with experience. Comprehensive benefits package that includes 100% employer-paid health, dental, and vision insurance for employees (and their families). Employees are able to enroll in 401k retirement plan and are eligible for a 3% automatic contribution and up to a 3% employer match on 401k contributions. Employees are also eligible for pre-tax transportation benefits. Employees will receive 160 hours of vacation time, 80 hours of health leave, up to 2 days of casual leave, and 20 hours of volunteer leave annually. Employees will also receive 13 paid holidays throughout the calendar year (15 days during Presidential and Congressional elections). We have an office closure between Christmas and New Year. Employees are eligible for 12 weeks of paid family and medical leave after 90 days of employment. Regular, full-time employees and part-time employees are eligible to take up to sixteen weeks of parental leave, in all cases related to birth, adoption, or foster care starting from the first day of employment. We offer access to professional development resources.
Commitment to Racial Equity, Diversity and Inclusion
Rewiring America values diversity in all its forms and is committed to inclusive and transparent recruitment, hiring and promotion processes. Candidates of diverse backgrounds and lived experience are strongly encouraged to apply.
Rewiring America is a project of Windward Fund, a 501(c)(3) public charity that incubates new and innovative public-interest projects and grant-making programs. Windward Fund is committed to attracting, developing and retaining exceptional people, and to creating a work environment that is dynamic, rewarding and enables each of us to realize our potential. Windward Fund ‘s work environment is safe and open to all employees and partners, respecting the full spectrum of race, color, religious creed, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, political affiliation, ancestry, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status and all other classifications protected by law in the locality and/or state in which you are working.
To apply or nominate a candidate, please submit an application and resume via the Rewiring America page at Workable.This position is open until filled, and we are moving quickly to fill this position -- apply as soon as possible. Candidate review and phone screens begin immediately and will be conducted throughout the search period.
To center the safety and well-being of its employees, Windward Fund requires that any employee who is required to conduct in-person activities for their job must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 within four weeks of their start date. Accommodations may be sought and approved in accordance with the law by contacting human resources at [email protected].