Philanthropy Database Manager
St. Louis Area Foodbank · St. Louis, MO
Job Title: Philanthropy Database Manager
Immediate Supervisor: Chief Development Officer or Director of Philanthropy
Employees Supervised: Database Coordinator, Philanthropy Operations Intern
General Description/Position Summary
The Philanthropy Database Manager will provide principal oversight and management of the Blackbaud Constituent Relationship Management (CRM), database system, Raiser's Edge. This position is responsible for database management and administration, donor records, data entry and gift acknowledgements, data quality and integrity, data analysis, training, mail and donor gift processing and other donor relations functions that guide the philanthropy team in maximizing fundraising effectiveness.
Duties and Responsibilities
Working with the philanthropy team, the Philanthropy Database Manager's responsibilities will include:
Donor Database Management
- Accountable for the accuracy and integrity of donor data files in the Foodbank's Raiser's Edge NXT database; performs data entry and oversees the data entry process; both manual and importing gifts and constituents; recommends, documents, and implements policies and procedures for data entry and acknowledgement processes
- Oversee and manage all philanthropy database functions and procedures related to donor records, data definitions and protocols, data security measures, constituent contact data pulls and address lists, and other philanthropy functions
- Partner with finance department to perform monthly reconciliation between fundraising software and general ledger
- Maintain absolute confidentiality regarding all constituent records, transactions, data, research and communications, respecting the anonymity of each constituent's identity, as directed by the constituent and department policy.
- Serve as Foodbank liaison to fundraising software. Activities include, but not limited to:
- Develop and update donor data entry processes and procedures for new and current team members (database training manual)
- Participate in planning of future database upgrades
- Liaison between Blackbaud customer service and Foodbank staff
- Lead quarterly training sessions with philanthropy team and other departments as needed
Philanthropy Data Processor
- Process incoming donations through various mediums (with priority toward online donations and credit cards)
- Address donor database issues (i.e. change of address, remove from mailing list, status updates, duplicate addresses)
- Facilitates donor inquiries via phone and email, disputes, chargebacks, credit card and banking inquiries
Data Analytics and Donor Relations
- Serves as primary internal data contact for direct mail vendor and Feeding America
- Develop and maintain schedules for integrating online and offline databases
- Generate online reports and credit donor accounts in fundraising software
- Properly code donor accounts for mailing frequency and preferred method of contact
- Run monthly reports to determine lapsed donors and appropriately recode contact status of such donors
- Assist with developing correspondence for major donors
- Oversee year end bank statements; including, stationery, printing and mailing by mid-January
- Create queries and reports to support department's expanded constituent segmentation (i.e., major donors, direct response, monthly giving, etc.)
Database Leadership and Training
- Supervise, mentor, and monitor the work and progress of the Database Coordinator and Philanthropy Operations Coordinator.
- Future data entry team may include part-time employees, temps, interns or Americorp VISTA.
- Provide administrative support to department by maintaining mail plans; specifically,
- Create queries and generate accurate suppression and renewal databases
- Submit databases in a timely manner to meet appeal mail deadlines
- Ensure accuracy of active campaign, appeal codes and key-code lists
- Oversee, offer, and ensure proper training for all full-time and part-time staff, seasonal temporary employees, student interns, volunteers, and/or consultants performing any kind of CRM-related data entry and data management activities.
- Assist philanthropy staff member with Volunteer Stewardship Plan
- Provide queries for volunteer to donor strategies
- Other duties as assigned
- As directed, assist with Philanthropy activities such as special events, cause marketing campaigns, external speaking engagements
- Four-year degree and at least 5 years of philanthropy/donor database experience
- Strong problem-solving skills
- Excellent organizational skills
- Accurate data entry skills
- Proficient in Microsoft applications
- Ability to manage multiple projects with attention to detail, ability to handle interruptions, maintain focus on tasks and produce accurate work.
- Ability to communicate effectively
- Positive attitude and passion for helping others
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with diverse stakeholders
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Professional appearance and attitude
- Must be able to pass drug screening and criminal background check
Special events and other projects related to this position may require evening and / or weekend work. Meeting attendance may require overnight travel.
The impact you'll make:
At the St. Louis Area Foodbank, we are working to build a stronger bi-state region by nourishing people, empowering communities, and transforming systems. With the dedicated partnership of nearly 600 hunger-relief programs and local agencies - including soup kitchens, food pantries, shelters, and residential programs - we are responding to hunger in communities across 26 counties in Missouri and Illinois by distributing food to more than 400,000 people every year.
Since opening in 1975, and with the tremendous support and generosity of this community, the St. Louis Area Foodbank has grown to become our region's largest food distribution charity dedicated to feeding those in need. Together, we are feeding people and working to address the root causes of hunger for lasting impact every day.
About the St. Louis Area Foodbank:
- The St. Louis Area Foodbank (SLAFB) is a member of Feeding America, which is a national network of 200 food banks all working together for the common goal of ensuring equitable access to nutritious food.
- This nationwide network offers us a variety of resources, like food, funds, best practices, and gives our work a much bigger, louder voice than we could hope to have on our own.
- The St. Louis Area Foodbank supports 26 counties - 14 in Missouri and 12 in Illinois - thus serves, supports and stewards a diverse group of stakeholders across our region, as well as serves as a member of Feeding Missouri (the 6 Feeding America Food Banks in Missouri) and Feeding Illinois (the 7 Feeding America Food Banks in Illinois).
- As a food bank, we collect food from a variety of sources, such as manufacturers, retail stores, farmers, and individual donors.
- We then store, sort, and repackage that food at the highest safety standards and finally distribute that food to our network of agencies and programs, which work directly with people in the community.
- We facilitate the movement of food safely and efficiently and offer the kinds of resources and support to our partner agencies that a single food pantry or shelter could not hope to access on its own.
- VISION: A nutritionally secure Missouri and Illinois.
- MISSION: Building a stronger bi-state region by nourishing people, empowering communities, and transforming systems.
What we can offer you:
Beyond a great mission, dedicated team members, and an incredible opportunity to truly make a difference in our community, you will be generously rewarded for your contributions including:
- Competitive pay commensurate with experience
- Generous Paid Time Off (PTO) plan
- 403b plan with robust company match
- Comprehensive benefits (medical, dental, vision, group company-paid life insurance, short-term disability, and more!)
We work hard, play hard and change lives - so apply to join our Foodbank Family!
This job description does not list all the duties of the job. Performance of other duties may be requested. Evaluations will be in part based upon performance of the tasks listed in this job description. St. Louis Area Foodbank has the right to revise this job description at any time. The job description is not a contract for employment.