Senior Software Engineer (Membership)
Change.org · Remote (USA)
Change.org is searching for a Senior Software Engineer to help us build a world-class membership program. You’ll be part of a close-knit functional team with the goal of delivering new features to one of our core products and strategies in 2023. This is an opportunity to join at an exciting time when we’ve just started building and your input could shape the future of this product.
The functional team works in Victoria, BC, where we have an office downtown that you are free to use. The team likes to get together a few times a year, so living within a 1 day trip of Victoria, BC, is a plus (Vancouver, Vancouver Island, BC) but not mandatory.
We’re a social impact business (a public benefit company), and the world's largest nonprofit-owned tech platform focused on civic action with 100m monthly users, 50,000+ campaigns launched on the site every month, and a 100% user-generated revenue model. Our users win campaigns for change once every hour. From strengthening hate crime legislation in South Africa and calling for racial justice in the US, to fighting corruption in Indonesia, Italy, and Brazil, and fighting violence against women in India.
- Build and deliver new features to our users.
- Scale existing features to handle increased usage.
- Work in all layers of the stack, from frontend to backend to infrastructure.
- Contribute to continuous improvement. We always strive to get better.
- Work in an Agile development environment.
- Lead technical projects and refactoring.
- Encourage knowledge sharing through coaching and mentoring.
- Collaborate daily with Engineers, UX, QA, and Product Managers.
- Learn about the most amazing social change campaigns around the world.
The most important skills and capabilities for the role are:
- Planning & Execution: Deconstructing projects into a well-defined action plan, and being responsible for its execution.
- Technical Leadership: Ability to breakdown product requirements to create plans to allow for full team execution. You see end-to-end (user to database), have opinions and experience building impactful solutions that delight users.
- Architecture & Design, Performance: Familiarity with instrumentation and experimentation, deep system understanding, be a driver for system quality, and influence architectural decisions in a collaborative environment.
- Mentoring/Coaching: Develop a concise knowledge of our architecture and be able to help other engineers with design, coding, and pull-requests.
- Communication: Communicate early and often, sharing ideas, analysis, and information in a direct verbal and written manner. Partner and collaborate effectively cross-functionally.
- Proficiency with different testing tools and methodologies.
- Proficiency with Git or other distributed version control systems.
- Proficiency with APM or browser development tools.
- Experience designing and building performant systems.
- Familiarity working with SQL and data stores (prefer MySQL, Redis, Redshift).
Nice to haves:
- Experience with Extreme Programming practices.
- Experience with Test-driven development.
- Experience with React.
- Experience with Ruby or Ruby on Rails.
- Experience working, or integrating, with payment gateways (Braintree, Stripe).
- Experience with testing libraries Mocha, React Testing Library, Jest, Sinon.js, RSpec.
- Experience with GraphQL.
- Experience working with Agile methodology.
- Experience leading a team.
- Experience teaching and mentoring.
- Experience with AWS suite.
Interested? Great! Here's what you should know:
This is a full time remote opportunity, and while we strongly prefer folks living in Victoria, Canada, we are open to folks in various locations across the US, LATAM and Canada. Our team is high impact, low ego, and has an amazing culture! Change.org is a global company, and salaries are adjusted for cost of labor in each city. For example, the annual salary of a Senior Software Engineer is $140,500 CAD in Victoria, Canada and would be $184,000 USD in San Francisco.
Here are the locations we are currently able to hire:
- US - Arizona
- US - California
- US - Connecticut
- US - Florida
- US - Georgia
- US - Illinois
- US - Maryland
- US - Massachusetts
- US - Missouri
- US - Nevada
- US - New Jersey
- US - New York
- US - North Carolina
- US - Oregon
- US - Pennsylvania
- US - Rhode Island
- US - Texas
- US - Utah
- US - Virginia
- US - Washington
- US - Washington D.C.
- US - Wisconsin
- CAN - Toronto
- CAN - Vancouver
- CAN - Victoria
- LATAM - Mexico
- LATAM - Brazil
We anticipate moving quickly and our evaluation process is as follows:
- 30 minute screen with a Recruiter
- 45 minute interview with an Engineering Manager
- 3 virtual onsite interview with a Product Manager, Senior Staff Software Engineer and a Senior Engineering Manager which will include an hour of live coding
- 30 min interview with our Senior Director of Engineering
We know the confidence gap and imposter syndrome can get in the way of meeting amazing candidates like you, so please don’t hesitate to apply—we’d love to hear from you. We also know it’s rare for someone to meet 100% of the qualifications. Please apply anyway!
We’re working for a world where no one is powerless, and where creating change is a part of everyday life. We’re just getting started and hope you’ll join us!
We especially encourage applicants of different backgrounds, cultures, genders, experiences, abilities and perspectives to apply. We’re actively working to increase the diversity of experience and perspectives on our team and are looking for someone who can help continue to lead that process.
Change.org is committed to being a diverse and inclusive workplace. Everyone says this, right? Well, we mean it—we invest in serious programs to bring in and support women and people of color, we have in-person onboarding experiences and affinity groups to help everyone feel included, we regularly celebrate the heritage of all staff, and we believe strongly in consistent, fair, and transparent salary scales to help level the playing field. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, or disability or veteran status.
We are legally required to conduct EEOC reporting. While this is required by the federal government, we recognize that it does not include all genders and ethnicities. We want you to know that Change.org celebrates all identities and we thank you for your participation.
Change.org participates in E-verify - click here to learn more.
We're committed to protecting your data. To learn more, please review our Change.org Job Applicant CCPA Privacy Notice here.