Manager of Database Admin & Tech Initiatives
CUNY EDGE · New York, NY
Multi-faceted position involving database system administration, product roadmapping and feature generation, data analytics, and user training. The Manager spearheads CUNY EDGE’s efforts to identify and implement technology-based strategies centered on the Database Management System, our custom data system built with an external developer. This role will be expected to conduct user research, recommend new features, access and report on data stored in multiple sources, as well as analyze and visualize the data using business intelligence tools. The overarching function is to streamline operations, data collection and reporting, and data-related collaborations. This is an ideal position for someone with data management experience who is seeking a broader role in program operations.
CUNY EDGE is the latest initiative to support public assistance recipients enrolled in college during a twenty-year partnership between the City University of New York (CUNY) and the New York City Human Resources Administration (HRA). Launched in 2016, CUNY EDGE supports public assistance recipients to attend CUNY, meet HRA work obligations, graduate in a timely manner, and find gainful employment. The program model balances academic advising and personal supports with career development and community engagement while maintaining students’ compliance with HRA regulations. Serving over 5,000 students across 18 campuses each year, CUNY EDGE is led by a Central Office team supporting over 70 staff at the campuses who provide direct services to students.
Housed within the CUNY Central Office/ Office of Academic Affairs, CUNY EDGE is seeking a motivated self-starter with significant product and data management experience to serve as a full-time Manager of Database Administration and Tech Initiatives. Reporting to the CUNY EDGE Deputy Director, the Manager spearheads CUNY EDGE’s efforts to identify and implement technology-based strategies centered on the Database Management System, our custom data system built with an external developer. This role will be expected to conduct user research, recommend new features, access and report on data stored in multiple sources, as well as analyze and visualize the data using business intelligence tools. The overarching function is to streamline operations, data collection and reporting, and data-related collaborations. This is an ideal position for someone with data management experience who is seeking a broader role in program operations.
- Lead product management of the Database Management System (DMS) including product roadmap, feature generation, wireframing and prototyping, UI/UX design (user interface and user experience) for CUNY EDGE in collaboration with external developer.
- Lead system upgrades, backups, testing, and connectivity with other applications
- Serve as a primary system administrator with 80+ users.
- Maintain user roles and profiles, security settings, access settings, etc. in training and production environment.
- Assist developer with data architecture and data modeling.
- Manage data feeds and other integrations.
- Monitor database use, to ensure consistency and quality of data input.
- Provide data analytics by generating ongoing and ad-hoc reports of program Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) independently and in collaboration with partners, as needed, to assess program outputs, outcomes, and impact; with the ultimate goal of measuring program effectiveness
- Manage and prioritize data and reporting requests, including ad hoc requests for data collection and analysis
- Create internal- and external-facing reports using data visualization techniques.
- Develop and foster strategic data partnerships with new and existing stakeholders to communicate program needs and create opportunities for collaboration with various stakeholders including vendors, various CUNY departments (CIS, Office of Applied Research, Evaluation, and Data Analytics, etc.), campuses, and external partners (Human Resources Administration, etc.).
- Design and implement a user feedback mechanism in order to better gauge areas for enhanced feature generation and measure user experience.
Training & Documentation
- Provide technical support and user training with the goal of helping team members become confident in their ability to find and analyze the data they need independently.
- Conduct ongoing trainings and technical support to stakeholders; create educational materials including manuals, guidance, tutorial videos, and other resources, as needed.
- Create process flow documents, works plans, and related communications.
- Attend staff meetings and trainings as required
- Perform special projects and other duties as assigned
- Manage usage of CUNY EDGE tech tools such as Signal Vine, Calendly, and Notion
- One of the following educational degree requirements must be met:
- Bachelor's degree in business, STEM related coursework, computer programming, design, statistics, psychology or other, similar majors
- Associate Degree and 1-3 years of relevant work experience
- Experience with SQL, Tableau, Metabase, and/or other BI tools as well as strong Excel skills
- Experience with popular and emerging web technologies and platforms
- Strong analytical skills with the ability to collect, organize, analyze, and disseminate data with attention to detail and accuracy
- Demonstrated experience in handling large data sets and relational databases
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, especially adept at translating technical terminology and concepts into common language for non-technical staff to understand
- Ability to be independent, self-motivated, and demonstrate attention to detail
- Ability to work collaboratively within and across teams
- A self-learner and exponential thinker; resourceful and comfortable learning by doing
- Entrepreneurial and solution-oriented
- A natural tendency to be curious, positive, and creative
- Comfortable contributing at all levels, from high-level product experiences to low-level UI tweaks and everything in between
- Willing to launch imperfect products, knowing that we will continue to iterate and improve as we go
- Able to juggle multiple projects at once, clearly communicating competing priorities and trade-offs especially when there isn’t time to do it all
- Comfortable taking on projects in new areas for them, learning quickly to develop expertise and execute on those projects, often needing to make decisions without perfect information
This position is located in a professional office environment and is currently hybrid, working 70% in person (7 days) in the office and 30% remotely (3 days) during every two-week payroll cycle.
While performing these duties, the employee is required to perform physical activities such as, but not limited to, lifting items (up to 30 pounds), bending, reaching, and sitting for prolonged periods of time. Reasonable accommodations will be made for employees with disabilities or other needs per RFCUNY policies. Ability to travel to other CUNY campus locations as needed.
RFCUNY BenefitsRFCUNY Employee Benefits and Accruals
About the Research Foundation
The Research Foundation of The City University of New York (RFCUNY) was established as a not-for-profit educational corporation chartered by the State of New York in 1963. RFCUNY supports CUNY faculty and staff in identifying and obtaining external support (pre-award) from government and private sponsors and is responsible for the administration of all such funded programs (post-award).
RFCUNY stands between CUNY’s principal investigators (PIs) and the sponsors who support them and strives to fulfill its essential responsibilities to both groups. Working closely with individual PIs and Grants Officers on the campuses, RFCUNY oversees employment, accounting, audit, reporting, purchasing, and special responsibilities that include management of a planned giving program; liaison with governmental agencies and foundations; negotiation of agreements; facility construction and renovation; protection and commercialization of intellectual property; and compliance with applicable standards in research involving human subjects, animal care, environmental and radiological safety, and conflicts of interest.