KIPP · Washington, DCEngineering Education Posted 1 month ago Claim this company
At KIPP DC schools, students develop the knowledge, skills, and confidence to become Washington DC’s next generation of leaders. Equipped with a KIPP DC education, our alumni are empowered to be successful in college, careers, and life.
KIPP DC schools educate and support students in the District of Columbia who have historically had limited access to quality educational options. We are grounded in a commitment to excellence, equity, and justice. Our central headquarters team supports KIPP DC’s 18 schools, 6,800 students and families, and 1,000 staff members—ensuring KIPP DC remains the highest performing PreK – 12 school system in the District of Columbia.
The Data Engineer is a key member of the KIPP DC Data and Analytics team that supports the automated delivery of data between student data systems. This work enables the organization to perform data analyses and provide automated access to school software. This role is essential in building and maintaining sustainable data pipelines that provide stakeholders with timely, accurate data across the organization. The Data Engineer reports to the Director of Data Strategy.
- Build and maintain automated data integration processes related to student data and software access management
- Create and troubleshoot ETL (extract, transform, load) scripts in SQL and Python programming languages that process student data systems including PowerSchool, Deanslist, and Edulastic
- Support user management processes that automatically provision staff and student accounts for school software directly and through middleware applications such as Clever and Okta
- Proactively monitor data for completeness and accuracy and communicate with impacted stakeholders when issues are identified
- Manage KIPP DC’s student data warehouse and reporting platform
- Develop, test and maintain database architectures to ensure data integrity standards are met.
- Maintain KIPP DC’s data dictionary which describes the contents, format, and structure of the data warehouse and the relationship between its elements
- Support Director of Data Strategy in long-term strategy efforts to expand the data domains held in the warehouse to other departments (i.e. Operations, HR, Finance, etc.)
- Perform maintenance and support tasks on the reporting platform, Tableau Server.
- Work with data team to increase capacity for data analysis
- Respond to requests from data team to resolve any issues related to integration failures or errors
- Assist data analysts in developing SQL queries for reporting and analysis
- Support in identifying, designing, and implementing internal process improvements: automating manual processes, optimizing data delivery, re-designing infrastructure for greater scalability, etc.
- Bachelor's degree in Information Science or Information Technology (incl. Applied Information Technology), Computer Science or a related field.
- Demonstrated expertise in SQL query development is required.
- Experience with data reporting and dashboarding tools such as Tableau.
- Experience in database design and data architecture.
- Experience with the above in an educational context is a plus.
QUALITIES OF TOP CANDIDATES
- Ability to perform a variety of professional activities involved in the research, collection, organization, analysis, processing, interpretation, and reporting of academic and operational data
- Outstanding project management and organizational skills, and extraordinary attention to detail
- Works effectively with others to achieve shared goals through cooperation, sharing knowledge, joint problem-solving, and celebrating success
- Excellent communication and presentation skills in order to share recommendations with colleagues
- Creative problem-solving skills and critical thinking
- Ability to work within a diverse, global workforce that is oriented around customer satisfaction
- Ability to continually develop and improve one’s skill and knowledge to perform effectively and adapt to change in the workplace and external landscape
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment under tight deadlines
- Familiarity with the K-12 education field is a plus
- Unquestioned integrity and commitment to KIPP DC’s mission
- Flexibility, tenacity, high quality work, resourcefulness, teamwork, and a sense of humor
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to complete an online application (including submission of a resume and cover letter) for the position. The start date for this position is immediate. Salary and benefits are competitive, commensurate with qualifications and experience.