Swing Left · Remote
Analytics Engineer at Swing Left & Vote Forward
The objective of the Analytics Engineer position is to ensure that Swing Left and Vote Forward’s strategic and operational decisions are informed by data-driven insights. This is achieved by:
- Managing data infrastructure and analyzing user behavior, product performance, and program data
- Guiding the development and implementation of processes to drive strategy, informed by data analysis and insights, across teams
The Analytics Engineer reports to the Senior Director, Engineering and is an at-will position.
About Swing Left
Swing Left is a national grassroots organization working to elect Democrats up and down the ballot. We make it possible for anyone to make a big impact on the elections that determine the balance of power in our country, by volunteering and donating in key races. Since launching in 2017, Swing Left volunteers have raised $80 million for Democratic candidates, civic organizations, and voter mobilization efforts, and made more than 44 million combined phone calls, door knocks, and letters sent to voters via its affiliate Vote Forward and their partners.
About Vote Forward
Vote Forward is a 501(c)(4) nonprofit organization that builds tools to encourage Americans to vote. We work to increase the participation of traditionally underrepresented groups in the electorate, and to increase civic engagement among the public at large by supporting the volunteers working to engage these voters. Since 2018, more than 250,000 grassroots volunteers have used the Vote Forward platform to send handwritten letters to more than 30 million prospective voters to encourage them to register to vote and turn out for elections. Vote Forward is closely affiliated with Swing Left.
Hiring process overview
- Applications received by September 15 will be screened first, later applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the application is closed.
- Interviews: mid-late September through October
- Expected start date: mid-November
- We will communicate about our expected timeline as the process progresses, and all candidates should expect to receive communication from our team regarding their application status. Our intention is to keep candidates in the loop as we work through each stage equitably and as efficiently as possible.
- This process will include a technical exercise and interview
Guide the cross functional development and implementation of data-driven processes to determine metrics, set goals, and define priorities
- Analyze and draw insights from user behavior, product performance, and program data across Swing Left and Vote Forward’s products and programs
- Collaborate with teams to develop and implement processes to track key metrics, conduct analyses, and define data-driven strategy and goals; lead cross-departmental meetings to discuss goal-setting objectives and how they should be formulated
- Trace conversion funnels and identify opportunities for user growth and funnel optimization in coordination with the product, brand, and digital teams; advise teams on strategy based on these insights
- Manage user attribution efforts across all products and programs
- Provide concise, digestible reports to senior leadership to help inform organizational strategy
Support the development of a scalable, transparent, and accessible data infrastructure
- Proactively develop a considerate data engineering strategy, following contemporary industry standards
- Lead the creation and maintenance of clear and concise documentation
- Collaborate with software engineers in maintaining and developing new ETL artifacts.
Successful Analytics Engineer candidates will have
- A strong commitment to our mission and values
- Excellent written and verbal communication and mediation skills; demonstrated ability to provide clear, data-driven insights and recommendations to stakeholders
- Advanced proficiency in SQL and familiarity with data modeling concepts
- Experience with Git or other version control software
- Attention to detail, ability to predict caveats and inconsistencies in data
- Experience with data warehouses
- Familiarity with contemporary ELT (Extract, Load, Transform) concepts and practices
- Demonstrated success managing projects, leading collaboration with colleagues, and contributing to an impact-driven, collaborative team culture
- A demonstrated commitment to equity and belonging across all identities including but not limited to race, gender, sexual orientation, age and ability. A specific track record of a commitment to BIPOC communities
- In addition to the expectations above, we prefer candidates who have:
- Previous professional experience with DBT, Snowflake.
- Familiarity with modern data orchestration practices, ideally with a tool such as Prefect, Airflow or Dagster.
- Experience wrangling the voter file, volunteer, and donation data.
- Preferred: Previous experience with testing data models and automating validation.
Swing Left and Vote Forward’s primary data tech stack includes:
- Snowflake DB
We also use:
- EveryAction (NGPVAN)
Working at Swing Left and Vote Forward
The Analytics Engineer is a full-time, exempt, and remote position. The pay range for this position is $100,000 - $110,000 annually. We provide cost of living compensation increases at the beginning of each year.
In addition to health, dental, vision, and retirement benefits, Swing Left and Vote Forward’s benefits package includes a professional development fund, a remote work fund, and a technology stipend for all employees. We have an unlimited time-off policy, a flexible medical and parental leave policy, and our office is closed for approximately 25 business days each year. We are happy to answer any questions you have about our benefits and policies in interviews.
We are an equal opportunity employer and seek applications from all qualified candidates who are eligible to work in the United States. However, we are not able to sponsor visas at this time. We welcome all applicants regardless of age, citizenship, gender identity or expression, national origin, pregnancy status, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other differences.
Please note the best way to express interest in this position is to submit an application––this is the most effective way for our team to review and process applications fairly and efficiently.