Senior Software Engineer
Schoolhouse.world · Remote (US)
$154,000 - $177,000 Per YearPosted 2 weeks ago
Schoolhouse.world is a non-profit startup founded by Sal Khan with the mission of connecting the world through learning. Our peer tutoring platform empowers learners everywhere with free online tutoring over Zoom. We currently have thousands of users from 150+ countries, with plans to grow this platform to millions.
We are a ten-person remote team—small but mighty—and are looking for people who thrive in a fast-paced environment.
About the Role
We’re searching for a passionate and experienced Senior Software Engineer who is eager to play a role in making education and tutoring more accessible. As a senior member of our engineering team, you will work across the stack to build features and own projects that help shape the experience of thousands of learners and tutors on our platform. In addition to this product feature development, we are looking for a team member whose technical expertise can help set up our architecture, systems, and codebase for long-term success, and also be a mentor to help our talented engineering team grow.
- Implement features and own projects, many of which directly impact learners and tutors.
- Contribute to design decisions and help improve the quality and stability of our architecture, systems, and codebase.
- Provide mentorship and support to our engineering team.
- Collaborate with team members outside of engineering like design and partnerships.
- You are a generalist as an engineer—you embrace opportunities to learn and work across front-end, back-end, infrastructure, and more.
- You are excited to write code yourself. You want to own projects and build features that impact users.
- You love writing high-quality code and want to improve code-bases that you touch.
- You want to improve the quality and stability of the infrastructure and systems that a platform depends on.
- You are excited about mentoring and helping other engineers grow, but also eager to learn from and alongside them too.
Your skills & experience
- You have at least 4+ years of software engineering experience and are ready to hit the ground running.
- Have a track record of designing and building systems and infrastructure that prioritize stability, scalability, and maintainability.
- Bonus points if you have experience with parts of our stack: Typescript, Node, Next.js, React, PostgreSQL, AWS, Cloudflare.
What we offer
- A rewarding and important role in a small, mission-oriented startup leading a movement in peer tutoring!
- A competitive salary (with benefits for US employees).
- Additional stipends to support you and the team’s growth—weekly team lunch stipend, professional development stipend, and remote work stipend.
- This role is fully remote, but you’ll have the opportunity to join semi-annual company retreats.