IT Manager (Deputy CIO for Operations & Enterprise Systems)
Office of the New York State Attorney General · Latham, NY / Albany, NY
Division of Administration
Information Technology Bureau—Latham (Albany Area)
Deputy Chief Information Officer for Operations & Enterprise Systems
Reference No. ITB_DCIO/OES_6293
Applications Accepted Until Position Filled
Application Review Begins on September 29, 2023*
The Office of the New York State Attorney General’s (OAG) Information Technology Bureau (ITB) is seeking an experienced people manager and strategic technology leader who has a diverse and deep understanding of all aspects of operational and applications technology to serve as the Deputy Chief Information Officer for Operations and Enterprise Systems (DCIO-Ops). The DCIO-Ops will be based in Latham, New York and will report to the Chief Information Officer (CIO).
The OAG is recognized as a national leader in civil rights, investor protection, labor rights, personal privacy, public safety, and criminal law enforcement. The ITB has the unique responsibility of supporting the OAG as the People’s Lawyer in its many and varied initiatives, multiple locations, and numerous platforms. The OAG is responsible for defending the State in litigation, engages in affirmative civil and criminal investigations and litigation, and serves as the chief guardian of the legal rights of the citizens of New York, its businesses, and its natural resources. The Division of Administration and the ITB proudly play a role in the daily support of this mission.
The DCIO-Ops is a key leadership role within the ITB, responsibilities will include but not be limited to the following:
- Overseeing the daily operational effectiveness, support, and reliability of all systems implemented and maintained by ITB, including mission-critical products, systems, services, and resources within the Infrastructure and Operations, Identity Management, Enterprise Applications, IT BC/DR, Communications and Collaboration, Conference Room A/V, Security Operations, and Cloud Operations teams.
- Leading a large, cross-functional, geographically distributed team, including managers, represented civil service employees and consultants. Supporting the professional development/advancement of this team by recommending skills trainings, advocating for promotions, and assisting with recruitment and retention efforts that advance the OAG’s diversity, equity and inclusion principles/goals.
- Interacting regularly with key OAG stakeholders to determine needs and make recommendations for systems, solutions, and support strategies.
- Engaging with vendors to find technology solutions for existing and future projects that are in alignment with the strategic plan and OAG practices.
- Collaborating with the Project Management Office to identify, prioritize, and ensure the successful execution of key initiatives.
- Partnering with the Information Security Office to develop infrastructure and application security policies, procedures, and protocols, including a process for generating regular compliance reports.
- Establishing and maintaining system uptime and service level expectations.
- Developing and sharing communications around system availability and metrics.
- Remaining aware of technology and industry trends and their impacts on ITB planning, business case development, risk assessment, budget management and other operational factors.
- Supporting and advising the CIO in the strategic/operational planning and execution efforts needed to modernize technology across the OAG, including driving other technology management projects and initiatives as needed.
- A Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, Business Administration, or a related field, or equivalent work experience, including seven (7) years of progressively responsible management experience at an organization of comparable size and complexity to the OAG.
- At least five (5) years of experience supervising IT teams of at least 20 staff is required.
- Prior IT budget, fiscal planning, and capital management experience of at least $3 million, including experience with vendor management is also required.
- Demonstrated experience leading with a security-first approach to systems management, implementation, monitoring, and response, including with SecOps team development and incident response.
- Excellent problem-solving, project management, strategic planning, and crisis management skills.
- Self-motivated to deliver a superior customer/end user experience with the ability to communicate (both verbal and written) complex IT information, policies, and procedures clearly and accessibly to a variety of audiences/stakeholders.
- Collaborative and innovative, including the ability to cultivate productive working relationships inside and outside of the organization to address issues creatively and effectively, particularly those needing a multidisciplinary approach.
- Prior experience in managing technology environments, including full-stack development solutions, mixed database environments, multi-site WAN with firewalls, hybrid cloud, and Microsoft 365 collaboration suite.
- Availability for periodic travel within New York State is required. This is an essential position and will be expected to be available to respond to emergencies outside of normal business hours.
The following preferred experience is a plus but not required:
- Prior experience managing large, cross-functional, geographic distributed teams, including managers, civil service employees and consultants.
- Prior relevant work experience in law enforcement, government, legal, or adjacent/related agencies/organizations.
- Experience with managing technology modernization initiatives around cloud adoption, content management, SDWAN, UCaaS, and low/no-code platforms.
The annual salary for this position is $162,737. As an employee of the OAG, you will join a team of dedicated individuals who work to serve the people of our State through a wide variety of occupations. We offer a comprehensive New York State benefits package, including paid leave, health, dental, vision and retirement benefits, and family-friendly policies. Additionally, the OAG offers a robust Workplace Flexibilities Program with multiple options for employees, including telecommuting (up to two days per week) and alternative work schedules.
HOW TO APPLY
Applications are being received via email. To apply, please submit your complete application, including each of the items identified below, to [email protected]. Applicants must indicate both the position title and reference code (Deputy Chief Information Officer for Operations & Enterprise Systems, ITB_DCIO/OES_6293) in their cover letter and email subject line.
*Please be advised that applications will be accepted on a rolling basis, and this position may be filled ahead of the posted deadline. Therefore, you are encouraged to submit your application as soon as possible.
Applicants must be prepared to submit a complete application consisting of the following:
- You may address to Legal Recruitment.
- Indicate why you are interested in this position and what makes you a strong candidate.
- Indicate both the position title and reference code (Deputy Chief Information Officer for Operations & Enterprise Systems, ITB_DCIO/OES_6293).
If you have questions regarding a position with the OAG and the application process or need assistance with submitting your application, please contact Legal Recruitment via email at [email protected] or phone at 212-416-8080.
For more information about the OAG, please visit our website: www.ag.ny.gov