Staff Data Scientist - Performance
Afresh Technologies · San Francisco, CA/Austin, TX/Remote (US)
Afresh is on a mission to eliminate food waste and make fresh food accessible to all. Our first A.I.-powered solution optimizes ordering, forecasting, and store operations for fresh food departments in brick-and-mortar grocers. With our Fresh Operating System, regional and national grocery retailers have placed $1.6 billion in produce orders across the US and we've helped our partners prevent 34 million pounds of food from going to waste. Working at Afresh represents a one-of-a-kind opportunity to have massive social impact at scale by leveraging uncommonly impactful software – we hope you'll join us!
About the role:
You will act as the technical lead for our Data Science team. The Data Science team sits in our larger Machine Learning organization. The Afresh system comprises, among other sources of data, machine learning forecasts, inventory estimates, user-provided data, and clickstream data. You will work with product managers, go-to-market experts, applied scientists, and other stakeholders to turn this data into metrics and experiments that will guide our company towards more and more food waste reduction.
You will also own a critical part of Afresh’s business: proving the value that we generate for our customers. To do so, you will build on our existing statistical analysis tools to ship rigorous metrics and statistical experiments that demonstrate our impact to our customers and internal teams.
- In your first 3 months, you will familiarize yourself with our existing statistical toolkit and make a scoped improvement to it. You will learn about our ongoing product experiments and metric development, and work with our data scientists to spin up an experiment and/or new metric. You will attend calls with our customers and learn about the nature of data in the grocery industry.
- By the end of your first 6 months, you will introduce additional metrics and ways of slicing at our data that unlock new insights for our customers. You will have onboarded onto our experimentation platform and helped guide our product team towards the right feature choice.
- By the end of your first year, you will make foundational improvements to our causal inference pipelines, making them more scalable and powerful. You will introduce new norms to the team around metric creation and statistical methods.
Skills and experience:
- 4+ years of experience as a data scientist. 6+mo experience as a technical lead where you regularly mentored other team members.
- Expert abilities in statistical analysis, especially in experimental design. Familiarity with causal inference. Extensive experience with both applied and theoretical statistics.
- Expert abilities in SQL. Expert abilities in using Python for data analysis.
- Familiarity with tools for Python statistical analysis (e.g., pandas, statsmodels, sklearn, dplyr).
- Excellent data visualization and dashboarding skills, including familiarity with at least one major dashboarding platform (e.g. Tableau, Looker, Mode).
- Excellent written and verbal visual communication skills with the proven ability to quickly deliver high-quality analyses
Base Pay: $186,300-$212,175
Founded in 2017, Afresh is working on the #1 solution to curb climate change: reducing food waste. By combining human insight and transformative technology, we're helping grocers provide fresher food to customers at more affordable prices.
Afresh sits at an incredible intersection of positive social impact, rocket ship financial growth, and cutting-edge technology. Our best-in-class AI research has been published in top journals including ICML, and we've raised over $148 million in funding from investors including former co-CEO of Whole Foods Market Walter Robb and Eric Schmidt's Innovation Endeavors.
Fresh is the past, present, and future of our food system – the waste we create today will impact our planet for years to come. Join us as we continue to build a vibrant, diverse, and inclusive team that embodies our company’s values of proactivity, kindness, candor, and humility.
Afresh provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, genetics, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, marital status, pregnancy or related condition, or any other basis protected by law.
Here at Afresh, many of our employees work remotely provided that they reside in one of the following states: AR, CA, CO, FL, GA, IL, KY, MA, MI, MT, MO, NV, NJ, NY, NC, OR, PA, TX, WA, WI. However, there may be key roles that will require a candidate/employee to be local to our San Francisco, CA office. In which case this requirement will be included in the job posting details under "Skills and experience" for reference.