Pulso Director of Product Development
Accelerate Change · Remote (US)
Pulso is a Latino-led social enterprise dedicated to raising up and keeping the pulse on nuestra gente. We build deep digital relationships with Latinx folks through their phones in order to transform civic engagement and build political power.
Pulso attracts and engages Latinos through our innovative Latino history and news service, via Facebook Messenger, Instagram, TikTok, YouTube, Twitter and The Pulso Podcast. With this daily relationship and by telling the stories that have shaped our community, Pulso connects U.S.-based Latinos/as/x with our history and encourages subscribers to take action on critical issues, register to vote, and to cast their votes on Election Day.
To see the digitally-based service we’re building, search for “Project Pulso” in the Facebook Messenger app. You can also learn more about our work at https://projectpulso.org/.
Pulso is a project of Accelerate Change (AC), a nonprofit media lab dedicated to catalyzing new scalable and sustainable digital media models for citizen engagement. See “The Secret of Scale” for more on AC’s model for scalable citizen organizing read and see “The Promise of Lean Experimentation” or AC’s approach to experimentation using Lean Startup methodologies and other business strategies, both from the Stanford Social Innovation Review.
The role of Director of Product Development is crucial in an organization devoted to informing and empowering the US Latino community via continuously optimized news, media, and history content.
- Oversee the generation and testing of hypotheses centered on audience / customer experience across Pulso’s platforms (Facebook Messenger, Instagram, Email, SMS and others) focused on audience experience to increase engagement, retention, virality, lifetime value, and impact, and improve user experience.
- Optimize automation, subscriber experience and lifetime value, and manage all aspects of Pulso’s Messenger subscription program.
- Oversee management of Facebook Messenger, SMS and Email subscriber list, leading Pulso’s segmentation strategy and relevant cohort creation.
- Manage a team to master all aspects of Pulso’s Facebook Messenger program including Facebook, Facebook Messenger, Chatfuel, Wordpress and other technologies.
- Analyze and report key metrics and experimentation data for relevant platforms (Chatfuel, Facebook Ads Manager, and other platforms), identifying actionable insights and proposing next steps.
- Rapidly execute and support A/B tests, including running lean experiments focused on all aspects of digital content to increase audience growth and engagement, revenue and impact.
- Collaborate with the Executive Director, staff, and any potential Contractor(s) with planning, strategy development and execution of product monetization testing.
- Lead on market research and concept development to test new products, overseeing staff in their customer discovery and audience segmentation on each platform.
- Lead collaboration with partner organizations on experiments, sharing best practices, troubleshooting, and technical platform updates; Communicate experiment learnings and best practices with the Pulso team.
- Embody and communicate the organization's progressive values and commitment to elevating the US Latino community.
- Keep up to date with current events, relevant social issues, and evolving technical platform updates.
- At least 5+ years of experience related to social media management and/or product management.
- Demonstrated experience in one of the following areas of digital media experimentation: growth hacking, engagement, monetization and impact experiments.
- At least two years of leadership experience, with management of direct reports a plus.
- Experience with chatbots is preferred but not required.
- Demonstrated experience performing rigorous A/B testing and data analysis.
- Strong data analysis, cross-team collaboration, communication, leadership and project management skills.
- Ability to navigate ambiguity, identify innovative solutions and iterate based on experiment results.
- $87,000 - $95,000 salary range, with exact salary depending on experience and new staff rarely starting at the top of the range.
- Flexibility for work and life: Unlike a lot of places, we actually believe that people should only work 40 hours each week, except for occasional sprints that require more time in a week. We also trust everyone to make a schedule that works for them, as long as you’re able to join all necessary meetings. Want to work more one day and less the next? Fine by us. Work better in the middle of the night than during the afternoon? Go for it. Need to shift your hours to be able to pick up your kid from school? All good.
- Health care after 3 months, with individual premiums fully covered and cost-share for dependents. Vision and dental plans are available at-cost to the individual.
- 15 paid vacation days, 6 paid holidays, 3 paid floating holidays each year and 7.5 paid sick days each year
- Professional development funds, with renewal of funds each fiscal year
- Cell phone and internet reimbursement (or co-working reimbursement): We acknowledge that working from home requires using your own internet and phone for work purposes so we offer a set reimbursement amount for cell phone and internet usage. If working home isn’t for you, we also have the option for folks to rent a co-working space and get reimbursed for their monthly costs.
- 401(k) plan after one year, with 100% employer match on the first 3% and 50% employer match on the next 2%
Pulso is incubated by Accelerate Change; Accelerate Change is an equal opportunity employer. We believe that people of color, people from working class backgrounds, women, and LGBTQIA+ people must be centered in the work we do. Hence, we strongly encourage applications from people with these identities, or who are members of other marginalized communities.