UX and Product Design Director
Bezos Academy · Seattle, WA/Remote (USA)
As Bezos Academy’s first UX and Product Design Director, you will have the incredible opportunity to build our design function from scratch with long-term positive impact, kind people and zero legacy systems. You are a hands-on, impact-driven visionary who will lead and own the user experience and product design of ground-breaking new technology for children, families, and early childhood educators. You will design a portfolio of products that range from classroom tools and training for teachers to game-based assessments for children to school-home communications for families. These products will spark joy, nurture children’s originality, and foster self-agency, while also empowering families, developing the next generation of inspirational teachers, and ensuring high-quality and equitable outcomes for all students.
You have a track record of designing end-to-end experiences that solve human problems. You have created user-centered experiences across a range of modalities (mobile, web, tablet, game), and successfully shipped multiple consumer-facing products in close collaboration with product and engineering teams. Over your career, you have designed products from scratch, then improved those products over multiple iterations and development lifecycles. You have led all phases of the product/UX design process, from research to design (including information architecture, journey mapping, wireframes, prototypes, and visual/UI design) to testing to implementation and evaluation.
You thrive in a fast-paced, start-up environment where you will focus on creating, improving, inventing, measuring, and innovating on behalf of our students and teachers. Above all, you are inspired by our mission to expand access to high quality preschool in under-resourced communities and motivated to pioneer the space where technology and Montessori-inspired preschool converge.
- Flexible in United States; Seattle, WA preferred.
- Relocation support is available for those willing to relocate to Seattle, WA.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
- This is a full-time, benefits-eligible, salaried position.
- The full salary range for this position, across all United States geographies, is $149,000 - $308,000 per year. The upper portion of the salary range is typically reserved for existing employees who demonstrate strong performance over time. Starting salary will vary by location, qualifications, and prior experience; during the interview process, candidates will learn the starting salary range applicable for their location.
- This role includes 15 paid days of vacation, 4 days of paid personal time off, 7 paid days of sick (care) time, 9 paid holidays, 5 paid days off for an organization-wide winter break, and additional time off if required by applicable law. Benefits for this role include medical, dental, and vision insurance, life insurance, disability insurance, a 401(k) plan with a 4% employer contribution match, paid parental leave, an employer-matched flexible spending account for dependent care, and more. Please see here for details.
- Ten or more years of experience leading or directly managing user experience or product design for mobile, tablet, and web products
- Five or more years of experience leading a product design function or managing a team of design resources, while also being hands-on designing your own projects
- Track record of delivering user-centered product designs, from research and initial concept through final implementation, continual improvement and scale
- Expertise in Figma, Adobe suite, and other design and prototyping tools, as well as UX and visual design standards, front end design systems and component libraries
- Experience leading all phases of UX design, including user research, design (information architecture, persona and journey mapping, low- and high-fidelity wireframes, clickable and interactive prototypes, visual / UI design, style guides), usability and other testing, implementation, and evaluation
- Experience collaborating closely with product, engineering, and other partners to solve customer needs while making critical trade-off decisions (e.g., competing customer goals, constraints)
- Superior communication and analytical skills, including strong ability to clarify and solve ambiguous problems
- Ability to travel up to 10% of the time
- Experience designing applications in the education sector that resonate with children, teachers, or parents
- Experience designing intuitive mobile games with appealing animation, character designs and interactive elements
- Experience establishing design systems that enable organizations to create new experiences at scale
- Demonstrated ability to engage and influence people and teams at all levels of the organization
- Experience creating responsive designs that allow customers to seamlessly switch between desktop, tablet, and mobile surfaces
Please click here for a full job description.
Bezos Academy participates in E-Verify and will provide the federal government with employee Form I-9 Information to confirm authorization to work in the U.S. Bezos Academy only uses E-Verify once a candidate has accepted a job offer and completed the Form I-9. If E-Verify cannot confirm that an employee is authorized to work, Bezos Academy will give the employee written instructions and an opportunity to contact the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) or Social Security Administration (SSA) so the employee can begin to resolve the issue before any adverse employment action is taken. For more information about your right to work, please see the Notice of Right to Work.