React Native Developer
Digital Democracy · Remote (Global)
Digital Democracy is looking for a React Native Developer with 3+ years experience developing React Native apps for Android and iOS and setting up publishing flows to the Google Play Store and Apple App Store.to join our remote team on a 6-month contract (with potential long-term) starting as soon as possible. We consider “full time” to be a 32 hour, 4-day week (8 hours per day).
You will help build cutting-edge open-source mobile and desktop mapping apps for remote and marginalized communities to document, map, monitor, manage and report information on environmental and human rights issues around the world.
We’ve seen firsthand that change does not come from technology, but from how people use it. We are building tools our partners are using to achieve transformative change. We are dedicated to working towards a world where all people can participate in the decisions that govern their lives.
What we're looking for:
You will work with our growing, small team of engineers and designers to help maintain the tools and websites used by Digital Democracy and our partners in the field. You will also provide support in building new features and fixing bugs in the Mapeo mobile app, written in React Native, and the Mapeo desktop app, written in React+Electron. You have 5+ years experience working in a team to deliver apps to production. You are proficient in React and are familiar with using Git for collaboration. You are familiar with Gradle, XCode and Continuous Development workflows for testing and publishing.
We are a small, high-impact team that takes a collaborative approach to tool-building and decision-making. Our tool development is led by our partner communities. You would be building tools that will be tested and used by our partners to confront real problems on the ground in the Amazon and around the world: Protection of the world’s forests and their ancestral homelands from deforestation and contamination. We need someone who can think creatively and collaboratively to solve these problems.
- Support the development of new features and bug fixes for an existing React Native mobile app and React+Electron desktop app for offline first mapping applications.
- Help create an iOS version of our React Native Mobile App. This will include integrating native modules, writing iOS specific code, and adjusting platform specific React code.
- Help create, document, and maintain publishing flows to the Apple App Store.
- Maintaining and update e2e test for the mobile and desktop app.
- Values-based. You share our belief in building tools that prioritize the autonomy of our partners, and challenge legacies of colonialism and extraction.
- Enthusiasm for open source. We have over 100 repositories on Github and believe in building open tools that others can contribute to and build upon.
- Self-directed. You are comfortable with managing your own priorities and tasks (mostly independently) in coordination with a small, remote team
- Flexible. As part of working in an Agile environment, you’re able to switch and multi tasks given the priorities set by you and the team
- Communication and documentation. You value collaboration and transparency by documenting your work and clearly communicating progress during weekly syncs with the team.
- A no-ego approach and a willingness to learn and grow the team.
- Availability. Full time and a minimum of 3 hours to overlap (Mon-Thurs) with our team in Pacific Time (PT).
- Experience working with a remote team (Product Manager, UX Designer and app dev team) to plan, prioritize, build, and deploy code.
Other qualities we're on the lookout for
- Ability to communicate technical concepts to the team and partners in non-technical terms.
- Ability to speak more than one language, in particular Spanish or Portuguese.
Digital Democracy’s mission is to work in solidarity with frontline communities to use technology to defend their rights and fight climate change. We’ve seen firsthand that change does not come from technology, but from how people use it. We partner with earth defenders to co-develop technology for social justice. We are dedicated to working towards a world where all people can participate in the decisions that govern their lives. This includes fundraising and resourcing our efforts.
Our small but growing team is based in Argentina, Brazil, Canada, Peru, Switzerland, the United Kingdom, and the United States.. We welcome candidates from around the world, especially South America. For this particular position we are looking for someone with time overlaps for both British Standard time and Pacific time. We embrace distributed working, and are happy for you to work from where you live. The Indigenous communities we work with have lived through colonization and deal with its effects everyday, along with marginalization and discrimination against their language and culture. It is therefore particularly important that we build a diverse team with individuals who understand and empathize with their situation. Indigenous people, people of color, women, LGBTQ folk and others who identify as coming from a marginalized identity are strongly urged to apply. We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
- Flexible schedule, location and hours. We are happy for you to work from where you live, on a schedule that works for you, in conversation with the Product Manager.
- Opportunity to visit our partners in the field. Although most of the job is desk based, this role may include travel to our partner communities.
- 4-day week. We consider “full time” to be a 32 hour, 4-day week (8 hours per day).
- Compensation and benefits commensurate with experience. We have a transparent pay scale in our organization, with a baseline rate of $61,000 USD which increases based on responsibilities and experience. We expect this position’s range to be between $86,000–$92,000 USD for a 4-day work week.