Software Development Engineer
Patrick J. McGovern Foundation · Remote (USA)
Partners & Advocates
$128,000 - $156,000 Per YearPosted 4 weeks ago
Continuous Integration (CI/CD)
The Patrick J. McGovern Foundation (PJMF) is a philanthropic organization dedicated to advancing artificial intelligence and data science solutions to create a thriving, equitable, and sustainable future for all. PJMF works in partnership with public, private, and social institutions to drive progress on our most pressing challenges, including digital health, climate change, broad digital access, and data maturity in the social sector.
For more information, please visit our website at https://www.mcgovern.org/. Core to PJMF’s mission is inclusion, diversity, equity, and accessibility (IDEA). We apply the IDEA framework to all we do, from growing a diverse team within the foundation to coalition building with organizations and people around the world, and to democratizing the development and rewards of AI and data.
The Patrick J McGovern Foundation (PJMF) is seeking an experienced, multi-faceted and self-driven Software Development Engineer (SDE). This role sits within the Data Solutions team and will be directly engaged with the development, deployment and maintenance of data and AI products that will drive positive social impact around the world. The charter of the Data Solutions team is to identify, develop and deploy strategic data and AI solutions, focused on unlocking opportunities and addressing broad challenges the social good sector is facing now, and in the near future. The SDE is responsible for full stack development of cloud solutions that are based around ML model predictions, using a rapid prototyping development approach. We are a small, high performance team and in many ways function as a startup. As such, the ideal candidate will be someone who can develop an end-to-end solution around which our ML products will be deployed.
How you will make an impact
- Work closely with the Technical Product Manager, along with partners and end-users, to understand their challenges in order to build effective and safe products
- Understand end-user needs to build applications that can solve their challenges
- Prototype, develop, test and deploy highly reliable, safe and scalable full stack solutions
- Ability to develop frontend and backend applications to support and integrate with our data and AI solutions
- Monitor and maintain application performance, functionality, scalability and security
- Develop secure, modularized, well-documented and reusable code
- Employ rapid prototyping techniques to quickly develop and iterate on product deployment and fast integration of end-user feedback loop
- Integrate necessary data technologies, platforms, tools, and 3rd party tools needed for product deployment and functionality
- Ensure appropriate maintenance, bug fix and feature requests are resolved
- Create appropriate system diagrams and documentation
What you'll need to succeed:
- Experience - Demonstrated experience in full stack development and deployment
- Learning - This role will require an individual with an appetite for (quickly) learning and applying different technologies, programming languages, and techniques needed to build the required solutions
- Communication - Ability to communicate effectively with cross-functional teams, engineers, partners and end-users. Excellent written and verbal communication skills to technical and non-technical audiences. Excellent technical writing and documentation skills
- Teamwork - Effective team player who understands the responsibility every individual brings to the table and how to encourage and drive results from each team member
- High Performance - Ability to go outside your comfort zone to learn new technologies and methodologies to ensure successful and timely completion of product development
- Results-oriented - Highly organized and detail-oriented, self-driven and able to adapt to learning and implementing new technologies, and creative in solving issues as they arise
- Cultural alignment - An advocate for social progress; interest in emerging technologies and their ability to advance societal outcomes
- Work Eligibility - Applicants must be authorized to work for any employer in the U.S. We are unable to sponsor or take over sponsorship of an employment Visa at this time
What we offer:
- Compensation – Anticipated starting salary range of $128,000 - $156,000, with flexibility based on experience
- Health Coverage – Foundation-paid medical, dental, and vision insurance for employees, spouses/domestic partners, and dependents. HSA/FSA plans, life insurance, and short- and long-term disability coverage
- Long-term Rewards – 401(k) retirement plan with generous matching up to 6% of annual pay, plus an additional discretionary match at the end of year
- Flexible PTO – Unlimited paid time off, which allows team members to take the time they need for vacation or illness so they can return to work able to contribute fully to our mission. The foundation recognizes 11 paid national holidays per year and may also announce closure for local, regional, or state holidays
- Remote Work Environment - Ability to work 100% remotely, but not alone - with mature, socially minded professionals
- Wellness Support – Access to Ginger, Gympass, Headspace, and SmartSpend Plus, along with financial well-being providers
- Parental Leave – Up to 6 months of gender-neutral paid leave for parents and caregivers when they have a new addition to their families
- Learning Reimbursements – Foundation policy encouraging employees to explore development opportunities such as peer learning, internal trainings, and external activities; savings on student loans (available via insurance provider)
- Philanthropic Gift Matching – Opportunity for team members to support vulnerable communities, reflecting PJMF’s commitment to social impact
The attributes listed above represent our current thinking for the role. You can be a great candidate even if you don't fit everything we've described below. You can also have important skills we haven't thought of. If that's you - even if you’re on the fence - we encourage you to apply and tell us about yourself!
The Patrick J. McGovern Foundation provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
We have built an environment that celebrates the differences in backgrounds and experiences. PJMF invests in activities that lead to greater inclusion, diversity, equity, and accessibility in how AI and data are conceptualized, developed, applied, and deployed. We are applying the same framework as our team grows and expands. We are an equal opportunity employer and we especially encourage and invite members of traditionally underrepresented communities to apply.
It is important to us that our hiring process is accessible to everyone. If you require accommodations to participate in the interview process, please let us know when you apply.