Minnesota DFL · St. Paul, MN
The Minnesota DFL Data Department is hiring a Data Director to oversee the management, support, and utilization of the DFL Voterfile to ensure electoral success up and down the ballot.
Who We Are: We are a small motivated team with a healthy mix of technical and organizing backgrounds. We value the unique perspectives offered by individuals with diverse backgrounds and paths into politics. We work intentionally to build and maintain infrastructure that both expands the accessibility of our resources and also helps to mitigate the volatile nature of campaign cycles.
Our primary goal is to help DFL Campaigns and Activists across Minnesota make the best possible use of all the information available to them. We’re looking for strategic thinkers with an appreciation for well organized and documented workflows from diverse backgrounds and skill sets to help our team solve problems both new and old with the help of different perspectives.
Who You Are: The best candidates will have in-cycle experience administering VAN and find value in mundane, yet crucial details without losing sight of our ultimate goal of electing DFL Candidates to office. On a day-to-day basis, our team balances priorities like customer service, high quality approachable documentation, maintaining well organized datasets, and expanding our collective knowledge of political data, to name just a few.
Among other things, in this role you could help us:
- Improve and expand DFL Voterfile/VAN Support workflows and documentation. Help us document and streamline - sometimes even automate - our behind the scenes workflows, so that we may continue to prioritize providing the highest quality support to all of our Campaigns and Activists.
- Communicate and educate DFL Activists and Campaigns on making use of their voterfile data. Work with other members of our department and organization to not only provide high quality data-driven advice, but also help expand our community’s collective understanding of how to leverage our high quality datasets to run the most effective campaigns.
- Research, develop, and integrate the usage of new campaign technology into DFL field efforts. Help evaluate the quality and applicability of emerging campaign technology for our community’s field efforts. When the best tool for the job doesn’t integrate with our data workflows as needed, help bridge those gaps with well thought out and easily maintainable solutions.
What makes you right for this role (good candidates might check many of these boxes, but don’t let this list stop you from applying):
- You are proficient in utilizing: SQL, Python, and dataviz tools (such as Google Datastudio, Tableau, or PowerBI) and are willing to take on the challenge of broadening your technical toolset over your time on our team;
- You have experience working with political data like state voter files, election results, or voter contact data;
- You have used VAN at a high level on a campaign or other political organization - bonus points for experience administering multiple committees alongside each other;
- You are an effective communicator and are comfortable and confident in your ability to relay complex information in an approachable manor;
- You are enthusiastic about applying your broad experiences and knowledge to help solve new, unfamiliar tasks;
- You strive to efficiently and effectively resolve large volumes of support requests, showcasing a commitment to user-centric solutions.
- You appreciate the returns of turning a simple day to day task into a sustainable, documented workflow, and have experience establishing best practices with maintainability in mind;
- You have experience working on field and/or organizing efforts and understand how data priorities interface with those on the ground;
- You are confident in your ability to manage a diverse, goal oriented team of staff and interns;
- You work best in a collaborative setting and have experience working on multiple different teams!
Compensation: Commensurate with experience, with initial salary band of $70,000-$80,000. Employees of the DFL are paid on a bi-weekly basis and receive a competitive benefits package including health care and dental.
Application Submission: Please send a resume and Voluntary Self-Identification (Optional) by email to: Trista Schwind, Deputy Executive Director, [email protected] with the subject line "Data Director - Tech Jobs for Good".
Voluntary Self-Identification Information
Consistent with the DFL Party’s commitment to including groups historically under-represented in the DFL Party’s affairs, by virtue of race/ethnicity, age, sexual orientation, or disability, we encourage members of underrepresented groups to seek jobs within the DFL Party. To help in this effort, we ask applicants to complete this self-identification form. Completion of this information is voluntary and is not a requirement of employment. This information will not affect the decision regarding your application for employment. This information will be kept confidential. Please select one or more groups that fit your identity:
- African American/Black
- Asian American/Pacific Islander
- Hispanic or Latino
- Native American
- Person with Disability
- White or Caucasian