Skylight · Remote (US)
Skylight is a digital consultancy using design and technology to help government agencies deliver better public services.
We’re at the forefront of a civic movement to reinvent how all levels of government serve families, patients, and many others in today's digital world.
If you want to play a part in driving this critical movement forward, we’d love for you to join our growing team of public interest technologists.
The work we do matters.
About the job
At Skylight, product managers are responsible for strategy, planning, execution, stakeholder management, and team health. Product managers partner with researchers, designers, engineers, client stakeholders, and others to inform their product decisions. At a high level, it’s the product manager’s job to figure out what to build next and why.
What you’ll do
- Lead a cross-functional team of researchers, designers, engineers, and subject matter experts to build and ship high-impact products and services
- Translate needs from users and government partners into a product strategy, including vision, objectives, measures of success, product roadmap, and product backlog
- Manage the direction, scope, and priorities of the product initiative, building from user research to minimum viable products to scalable solutions
- Write user stories, prioritize stories, and build release plans
- Facilitate team ceremonies such as planning meetings, stakeholder syncs, and retrospectives
- Draw on data and feedback to inform the product strategy and roadmap
- Work in close partnership with government teams to transfer digital skills and product knowledge throughout the course of the project
- Creatively navigate bureaucratic challenges, paving the way for more intuitive processes in the future
- Collaborate with government partners to ensure compatibility with existing processes and technologies
What we're looking for
- Understand lean product principles and how to apply them (e.g., minimum viable product) at various stages of the product life cycle in order to mitigate risk, validate assumptions, and amplify learning
- Can develop a product strategy that is informed by an understanding of the problem to be solved, prioritizes outcomes over feature sets, and establishes the direction of the product over time (e.g., product roadmap), including success criteria
- Ability to execute the product strategy by breaking down the product’s scope into usable chunks of value that can be realized sooner rather than later, creating and maintaining a prioritized backlog with validated user stories, and facilitating team ceremonies over the course of the product’s iterations
- Understand how to engage in the process of human-centered design in order to better inform product direction
- Ability to collaborate with folks outside of your discipline, such as researchers, designers, engineers, and others, in order to get things done
- Ability to manage clients and stakeholders in a way that builds trust, alignment, and healthy environments for individuals and teams
- Understand the merits of different software development methodologies (e.g., agile, lean) and how to put them into practice
- Ability to work successfully within a professional services environment (e.g., can communicate effectively with clients)
- Passionate about creating better public outcomes through great government services
- A mindset and work approach that aligns with our core values
- Ability to travel for work from time to time
- Prior experience working in the civic tech space
- Experience working in a remote-team environment
Don’t meet 100% of the criteria but think you can do the job? We’d love to chat anyway! We’re on a mission to build diverse teams, and studies have shown that women and marginalized folks are less likely to apply to jobs if they don’t check every box.
- All work must be conducted within the U.S., excluding U.S. territories. Some federal contracts require U.S. citizenship to be eligible for employment.
- You must be legally authorized to work in the U.S. now and in the future without sponsorship.
- As a government contractor, you may be required to obtain a public trust or security clearance.
- Some of our available roles are on federal contracts that require a degree or additional years of experience as a substitute.
This is a full-time, exempt position
This is a fully remote position.
We want to give you the most competitive salary possible. After all, you deserve it! To that end, we use the results of our interview process to determine what salary is most appropriate given your current level of seniority. For a Product Manager at Skylight, the current salary ranges are as follows:
- Associate Product Manager: $90,000–$125,000
- Product Manager I: $120,000–$140,000
- Product Manager II: $135,000–$160,000
- Senior Product Manager: $150,000–$185,000
- Staff Product Manager: $170,000–$203,000
- Principal Product Manager: $180,000–$230,000
Your well-being is important to us, so we focus on supporting you in a variety of ways:
- Medical insurance, dental insurance, vision insurance
- Short-term and long-term disability insurance
- Life and AD&D insurance
- Dependent care FSA, healthcare FSA, health savings account
- Dollar-for-dollar 401(k) match up to 10% of your salary with no vesting period
- Paid time off, including 20 vacation days, 11 federal holidays, and flexible sick leave
- Up to 12 weeks paid time off for all eligible new birth, adoption, or foster parents
- Performance rewards, including annual salary increase, annual performance bonus, spot bonuses, and stock options
- Business development / sales bonuses
- Referral bonuses
- Annual $2,000 allowance for professional development
- Annual $750 allowance for tech-related purchases
- Annual swag budget of $100 to display your Skylight pride with some merchandise (hoodies, hats, and more)
- Dollar-for-dollar charity donation matching, up to $500 per year
- Access up to $1,000 before payday to cover emergency expenses
- Flexible, remote-friendly work environment
- An environment that empowers you to unleash your superpowers for public good
We want you to have a great interview experience with us! Here are some tips to help you prepare for a successful interview:
- Visit our join page to learn more about how our interview process works.
- Check out our Career Pathways framework to learn more about the different roles within Skylight and the skills needed to do them.
- If you’d like to request reasonable accommodations during the application or interviewing process, please contact our recruiting team at [email protected].
We participate in E-Verify and upon hire, will provide the federal government with your Form I-9 information to confirm that you’re authorized to work in the U.S.
We're an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, age, pregnancy, disability, work-related injury, covered veteran status, political ideology, marital status, or any other factor that the law protects from employment discrimination.