CivicActions · Remote (USA)Design + UX Partners & Advocates Public Service & Civic Engagement Posted 2 weeks ago Claim this company
As a Product Designer at CivicActions, you will collaborate across disciplines in a radically open environment to develop delightful web responsive apps for large federal, state and local government agencies. You will also be a part of an active, growing design practice.
- Take end-to-end responsibility by creating design deliverables that serve the needs of both business and technology.
- Own full-stack design process—from blue sky exploration to interaction wireframes to polished UI designs to detailed UX specs.
- You will plan and execute discovery sprints, which takes into account business needs and agency culture.
- Conduct stakeholder interviews and user research that incorporates an understanding of the rich diversity within government audiences.
- Demonstrate good judgment in choosing appropriate deliverables, such as: user stories and use cases, workflows, prioritized feature lists, conceptual diagrams, information architecture, wireframes, low-fidelity mockups and click-through prototypes.
- You will be responsible for ensuring tight feedback loops between development and design and end users, such that the team is rapidly learning, iterating, and delivering products with the highest value to the users.
- Evangelize new interface guidelines and design patterns.
- Use a combination of lean, agile and human centered design practices and methodologies.
Other Responsibilities & Expectations
At CivicActions we are a self-organizing company that wants everyone to be empowered to contribute beyond their project work. Below is a list of items that individuals get involved in from time-to-time.
- Participating in internal CivicActions practice area meetings.
- Participating and contributing to product development best practices and educating internally.
- Participating and/or contributing to hiring new CivicActions employees.
- Participating in new company initiatives.
Specific Skills & Qualifications
- You're familiar with human-centered design, lean startup and agile methodologies.
- You know how to go from high level discovery down to the details of the discovery process.
- You have an ability to clearly articulate design decisions & the problems they are solving with excellent verbal, written and presentation skills.
- You can demonstrate experience with an iterative design process: incorporating different types of feedback, launching quickly and testing hypotheses.
- You have a strong understanding of component-based product design or UI patterns and style guides, and the role they play in prototyping and collaborating with developers.
- You have demonstrated expertise in the collaborative design and prototyping software and tools including: Sketch, Invision, Figma, and some HTML/CSS/JS, etc.
- You have at least five years of relevant experience.
- You are excited about contributing to and building on our existing UX practices.
We excel in our benefits offering and believe that people who are well taken care of can be more balanced, healthy and happy. We offer 100% company-paid medical insurance, disability insurance, and life insurance. We have a generous 401(k) program. We have an open vacation policy -- employees are encouraged to take time off as needed to feel balanced, productive and healthy. We have paid maternity and paternity leave. We have an annual all-hands retreat to connect with each other in person. We also emphasize professional development and offer an annual stipend.
Community participation is important to us and we ask that you spend 5% of your working time giving back to a community that you care about. We attempt to keep our work products 'open by default'. This means that it is our intention that your work contributions during your time at CivicActions will be published under public license, enabling you to bring your passion fully into your activities without the fear that your expressions will be locked away or prevented from having a positive impact in the world. Location We are a fully distributed remote team. For this position, you can normally work from home or find a great co-working space, although on-site visits and working sessions with clients will be necessary.
You will need a computer, webcam, strong internet connection and a structured schedule because we are a truly collaborative team. Ideally your timezone will be within the continental United States.
$100,000 - $130,000
In order for the hiring team to evaluate your application, you will need to provide a portfolio and/or work samples that show your process and final result. Please either upload a file or provide a link in your application.
CivicActions is a dedicated, fun-loving team, looking for some talented folks to help us bring revolutionary digital services to government agencies and the people they serve.
We value diverse teams at CivicActions. We are an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.