Warby Parker · New York, NYEngineering Health & Well-Being Posted 2 months ago Claim this company
Warby Parker is on the lookout for a motivated Data Engineer to help every department across our organization monitor, track, and improve their work. Our team’s reach is wide, and our efforts to collect and share data impact nearly every employee. In this role, we’ll tailor your day-to-day responsibilities to your skillset. You may support our work by developing integrations between our rapidly growing tech systems and our data warehouse. Or maybe you’ll design sophisticated BI data models, advocate data governance best practices, and own the tools used by analysts across Warby Parker. Either way, our ideal candidate is equipped with analytical thinking, communication, and collaboration skills, as well as a fluency in SQL/relational modeling. The ability to write code with razor-sharp attention to detail will also set you up for success here.
At the end of the day, we’re out to prove that businesses can scale, be profitable, and do good in the world. As you contribute to the company’s success, you’re also supporting our Buy a Pair, Give a Pair program and Pupil’s Project. Interested in joining us? Read on!
What you’ll do:
- Ask thoughtful questions and listen carefully to get to know your business partners’ vocabulary, problems, goals, and constraints
- Work with a Product Manager and other Engineers to scope out and prioritize potential solutions to complex data problems
- Develop data models that meet business partners’ needs
- Dream up ways to help our stakeholders solve problems they may not have even thought of yet
- Implement tested, production-ready ETL code in a mix of database environments
- Provide thorough and helpful documentation to ensure that our decisions can be shared and understood in the future
Who you are:
- Backed by 3+ years of software engineering experience with data pipelines or other data-intensive applications
- Comfortable working with the tools of modern software engineering, like working at the command line, using version control, writing tests, performing code review, and more
- Experience working in an iterative, Agile environment
- Able to write SQL
- Excited to help bring the rigor of modern software development practices to the business intelligence space
- An analytical thinker who can understand the needs of an analyst or business expert
- Able to exercise judgment on all aspects of project execution, while also soliciting input from colleagues and stakeholders
- A kind, empathetic listener and proactive, effective communicator (in writing and in person!)
- A team player who’s able to collaborate with people of various skills and backgrounds
- Not on the Office of Inspector General’s List of Excluded Individuals/Entities (LEIE)
Extra credit—definitely not required, but if you have these skills we can put them to good use!
- The ability to develop transformations in modern cloud databases such as BigQuery, Snowflake, or Redshift
- Experience applying the techniques of Kimball-style dimensional data modeling in an Agile environment
- Experience developing, debugging, and deploying infrastructure within AWS or a similar cloud environment
- Experience with streaming event services, such as Kinesis or Kafka
- The ability to visualize data and teach others to, too
- Experience with data governance, data dictionaries, and other processes or techniques to ensure that our work is maximally useful to the company
- A background in teaching, mentoring, tutoring, or lecturing
Warby Parker was founded with a lofty objective: to offer designer eyewear at a revolutionary price while leading the way for socially conscious businesses. By circumventing traditional channels and designing our frames in-house, we’re able to offer top-quality glasses and sunglasses (plus an uncommonly delightful shopping experience) at a fraction of the traditional going price.
Since starting out in 2010, we’ve set up headquarters in New York City and Nashville, built our own optical lab, and opened retail locations all around the U.S. and Canada. As we grow, we’re committed to proving that businesses can scale and be profitable while doing good in the world. For every pair of glasses we sell, a pair is distributed to someone in need—to date, that’s over five million pairs.
Of course, all work and no play makes a dull workplace. Who likes that? At Warby Parker, you can look forward to company outings, volunteering and learning opportunities, and just great company. Teammates can also connect around common interests, backgrounds, and identities, no matter their home base, through our various employee resource groups. (We’re happy to say that the Human Rights Campaign has named us a Best Place to Work for LGBTQ+ employees!) That sense of community keeps us excited to walk through the door every day. Good work, good people.
Some benefits and perks of working at Warby Parker:
- Health, vision, and dental insurance
- Flexible “My Time” vacation policy
- Retirement savings plan with a company match
- Parental leave (non-birthing parents included)
- Cell phone plan reimbursement
- A health-and-wellness stipend
- Free eyewear, plus discounts for friends and family
- And more—just ask!