Backend Software Engineer
Verily · Boulder, COEngineering Health & Well-Being Posted 1 month ago Claim this company
Verily, an Alphabet company, lives at the intersection of technology, data science and healthcare. Our mission is to make the world’s health data useful so that people enjoy longer and healthier lives. We are developing tools and devices to collect, organize and activate health data, and creating interventions to prevent and manage disease.
The Data Infrastructure team aims to assist Verily’s software teams with the complexities of managing digitized health information. We want to simplify the deployment of ETL pipelines of health data so that Verily’s many software projects can make more progress with their analysts and data scientists and not have to hire dedicated pipeline engineers. We’re aiming to develop standard practices for tasks around curating and enriching digital patient records so that teams across Verily can collaborate and share their advances with each other. We’re a group of tool builders who measure ourselves by the satisfaction and adoption by our customers.
Our team combines expertise in biology, chemistry, physics, medicine, engineering, computer science, and more to create interventions that exponentially improve patient care. We partner with leading life sciences, medical device and government organizations to enable fast development, meaningful advances, and deployment at scale. Our work spans many projects, including Project Baseline, the quest to map human health beginning with a 10,000 person observational study; Liftware, stabilizing utensil handles to aid individuals with hand tremor or limited mobility; and Debug, an effort to reduce the threat of mosquito-borne diseases using the sterile insect technique. For more information, please visit our website.
- Design and build components of data processing pipelines to ingest, normalize, transform, enrich, and audit health data.
- Develop a platform that is usable in multiple clouds, localities, and environments to satisfy the constraints of our many internal customers.
- Leverage the appropriate prior art in third-party and open-source data processing libraries and help us build bridges from our ecosystem to popular tooling.
- Listen to concerns and complaints from customers and help develop an ecosystem of tools that is simple but powerful.
- BA/BS degree in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, or a related field, or equivalent practical experience in software engineering.
- 3+ years experience with Java or a similar general-purpose object-oriented programming language.
- Prior experience with cloud deployment technologies: Docker, Kubernetes, Google Cloud Platform or other cloud providers.
- Prior experience with data processing and pipelining technologies: Airflow, Mapreduce, Spark, Parquet/Drill, BigQuery, SQL, R, Pandas.
- Prior experience with health data, health informatics, or electronic medical records.
- A growth mindset and willingness to pick up new technologies and domain knowledge to be productive in role.